*NwA* Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Internet problems

2 posters

Go down

Internet problems Empty Internet problems

Post by DavidMiloBoom Fri 14 Jan - 23:23:34

My long week of a-level modules is over and to kick start my new year gaming career I already have technical problems.

I have never experienced this before, but my internet connection seems to every 10-15mins to cut out. My internet icon in the bottom right still shows it is detecting some form of connection, but doesn't allow use of the internet (for vista users, the 'globe' with the 2 computer screens disappears).
When running diagnostics, it says that
"There may be a problem with the Domain Name Servers (DNS)
Windows attempted to find the well know host "www.microsoft.com" using DNS. The server responded that the name was unknown.
--> Contact your network administrator or internet service provider"

I've tried googling the problem and have found guides to using command prompt and doing "ipconfig/flushdns" to reset my DNS, ping websites (which come back positive), and also reset Winsock enteries and TCP/IP stack.

Nothing seems to be able to get rid of the problem, and I don't have a techi support to ring

I use an Internet Cable connection. Using steam i have seen my DL speed of normal 230kb/s reduced to average 8kb/s grrr

Anyone able to help
DavidMiloBoom
DavidMiloBoom
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Registration date : 2010-12-16

Back to top Go down

Internet problems Empty Re: Internet problems

Post by Orford Fri 14 Jan - 23:38:12

Leave your modem and router turned of over night this will release your IP from the ISP. when its back up try again. you could be in a IP range your ISP is doing work on.

try pining www.bbc.co.uk. use the commnad prompt and type ping www.bbc.co.uk.

If you still have issues I`d say your ISP is having DNS issues. DNS turns a web URL ie www.bbc.co.uk into a IP that the internet uses. If this is not working at your ISP`s end your browser will be messed up.

try going to www.speedtest.net post the results. do a router and modem restart before and after and do the same in the morning after they have been powered down over night.

Cuttin gout every 10-15 mins is also a sign of a dirty phone line and your modem is not coping with filtering the background noise on your phone line.

Orford
Orford
Orford

Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidMiloBoom Sat 15 Jan - 0:17:23

I did ping tests for www.yahoo.co.uk earlier and came back positive.

Redoing www.yahoo.co.uk It is still positive.
However ping www.bbc.co.uk comes back negative
Ping request could not ind host ww.bbc.co.uk. Please check the name and try again.

Speed tests 0.26MB/s download, 0.2MB/s upload

In my house there is the internet connection which comes from my parents work, and then the serperate phone line provider.

Regarding the connection there are no passwords or firewalls and so I get a direct feed from the internet.

Tonight I will keep my modem off.
DavidMiloBoom
DavidMiloBoom
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Orford Sat 15 Jan - 16:54:55

What should the speed be. That dose seam a bit low. seams like the provider is having issues with DNS some sites you can get others you cannot. Contact the provider.

Orford
Orford
Orford

Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidMiloBoom Sun 16 Jan - 21:07:14

My speed is always around 260kb/s for download on steam, and the speed test other day was normal, but when it came to programs using it, it was very slow.

I left the modem off and only came back on today, but either way my internet for now seems normal. either turning modem off worked or the netword provider was having problems, either way thanks, I'll come back to this thread here if I get more problems though.
DavidMiloBoom
DavidMiloBoom
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down