*NwA* Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arma.. Lolwhuh?

+3
Xazper
Da-Fort
Voodoo
7 posters

Go down

Arma.. Lolwhuh? Empty Arma.. Lolwhuh?

Post by Voodoo Sat 30 Jul - 1:48:24

Tbh, It *looks* epic, I feel I could enjoy it's super realistic features (Loved Op. Flashpoint, same developer) but.. I don't know what It plays like?

Op. Flashpoint : Red River, you're always against AI, and I heard ARMA is similar, like the multiplayer is CO-OP and not PvP? Explain. And what's this malarky with about 9,000,000,000 that I hear about, Do I really need a Degree in programming to understand? Until my über PC comes (Still hanging in the balance) I can't play test but.. ARMA III looks so actually wank worthy I want to get into ARMA II to get to grips and not join the party late like I did with BF2. Help? Razz
Voodoo
Voodoo
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Registration date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Arma.. Lolwhuh? Empty Re: Arma.. Lolwhuh?

Post by Da-Fort Sat 30 Jul - 23:39:02

Arma 2 is an awesome game if more like a simulator. I only clocked over 300 hours but I'm holding out untill PR: Arma.

It really brings realism to gaming but even the devs balanced the game for people who aren't into milsims per se but more into the game itself.
Here is where addons come in. I personally recommend ACE+ACRE.

ACE increases realism and adds stuff like stamina. You can't run a marathon wearing a machinegun, 3 belts of ammo and a anti-tank weapon and a backpack full of grenades, medical supplies and rockets. In fact you're probably going to faint by just walking for a while. It also adds MORE GUNS, more skins, more vehicles, different variation of vehicles, ... and uh ... MORE GUNS!.

But wait that's not all, ACE also includes the wound system. Explosions or getting hit will either mean a swift death or getting knocked unconscious. You might wake up or bleed out unless some one carries or drags your sorry ass behind a piece of breakable cover to stop the bleeding and wakes you up all the while under enemy fire who actually try to flank you. There is more to it with smelling salt and morphine but I'm not going into detail. It all boils down to finding a medic to heal you up because the medic is the only one able using a medpack (unless that option is turned off). You can't aim reliably while wounded.

ACRE is a plug-in for Teamspeak 3 that acts just like Mumble and with realistic radios. I believe that mountains even factor in with radio distance.
Some maps only have 1 radio but others have the full radio suit. In your squad you can have some one that is carrying a long range radio.
He can still use another packpack or an anti-tank but you still have to watch out for his stamina.

Vehicles can get tracked as well. Not to mention losing its engine, gun or even turret. Granted I would like to see more of an in depth repair option for engineers but towing/flying the vehicle back to base for repairs is a decent option.

The game has so many maps and addons that it isn't even funny anymore. I'm so glad that we as a community have that option. Some developers (publishers) would rather choke us and shake us to see if any money drops out of our pockets. I'm looking at you EA, Activision and Bioware! Ok even Bohemia Interactive has DLC on Arma 2 but they are actually worth the money, which isn't much at all compared to other over-hyped games and their DLC content.

The only thing that people might complain about is the animations. They are very clunky and the controls feel slow. I don't really mind this because you can't just turn around on a dime wearing all that stuff. All I've got to say it is a great game, has a great addon support, it is being updated (AI has seen major improvements since release) and the maps feel big and realistic.
Hell you can drive down an entire forest using your tank.

This, this is the reason why I'm so hyped for PR. I fully understand them releasing the mod as a mini-mod but that is how PR started in the first place. But this time around it will be more polished.

Bringing more options to base building, squads and medic abilities will make the game a whole lot better. So good that they even were able to strike a deal with Bohemia Interactive themselves! I've never seen a development studio actually helping a mod.

Voodoo wrote:Help? Razz

United Operations has some great tutorials as training days for multiple things like ACRE radios and radio communication or being a squad medic. There is more, like chain of command stuff you can do to but I've never been to any of the trainings. The reason for that is I find that they are being a slightly bit too serious. I can understand being very serious-faced during a team vs team match but it kinda felt depressing doing anything wrong. That is my personal opinion, ask Xasper I hear he's a frequent visitor over there.

I'll try to dig up a link when I feel like it. Anyways I'm sure Snippers could help you if he has some spare time. He sure can explain things 30x better than I ever can.

Last edited by Da-Fort on Sun 31 Jul - 0:03:31; edited 2 times in total
Da-Fort
Da-Fort
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Registration date : 2009-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Voodoo Sun 31 Jul - 0:02:00

Epicness. I did properly read the wall of text, and I've heard about ACE alot, not so much about ACRE, but I saw stuff like maps of Bin Laden's compound etc, it seems so win. Definitely getting this now! Razz
Voodoo
Voodoo
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Da-Fort Sun 31 Jul - 0:07:30

Yes sorry for that relatively small wall of text there. At first I couldn't write anything more than: "Arma 2 is awesome"

Also what I forgot to mention is with ACE you can also setup TOW launchers and Mortars mobile. You need the tripod and the gun for it and place it in the right order. Also you need to load the gun manually and go back onto it to ready it for another shot. A two man team can do this quite easily.

That also brings me to weapon fire in ACE. A machinegun, a tank or a TOW launcher can have some serious effects on your eyes and ears. Wearing safety goggles or some type of glasses will prevent white bursts on your screen and screenblur when moving to or from a chopper. Earplugs is something you should get first or on some maps by default. My first time being deafend and having a ringing tone in my ears afterwards was when I kept shooting from a "commandeered" PKM techy (HOLY SH*TB*LLS!).

Don't stand behind some one with an anti-tank. They will knock you out.
Haven't tried the upgraded M136 that is supposed to be used inside buildings but I'll see what happens when I get the chance.

Another major drawback might be using the six-updater tool. It can get confusing very fast, I can understand some stuff like finding a specific repository server to download addons from but that is as far as my experience goes. I use a custom Arma 2 launcher (there are a couple but this one is my fav) to select the addons I wish to use and launch the game that way.
And currently in Arma 2 you can one-man a tank or APC. Sometimes you need to jump out of the vehicle to go find the gunner seat to hop in while others can be switched to from the inside.
I hope PR can change this as their system encourages teamwork. You'll probably see me in vehicles a lot or desperatly trying to repair it because I was being a complete idiot.

Last edited by Da-Fort on Sun 31 Jul - 1:01:54; edited 1 time in total
Da-Fort
Da-Fort
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Voodoo Sun 31 Jul - 0:31:28

I love the Idea of Backblasts and hate the current one-man-can-do-everything-he-wants-lonewolf style, So you mentioned stuff like being able to take vehicles by air by a chinook or large chopper? Sounds. EPIC.
Voodoo
Voodoo
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Da-Fort Sun 31 Jul - 0:54:11

I've had instances in Domination or Warfare (unlocked using research) where you can use a Chinook to hook up an APC and fly it off somewhere but I couldn't do it with the Abrams or some trucks. Could be the Abrams is just too heavy to transport.

We will have to see what is possible in PR: Arma if that is anywhere possible in the first release.

Also I like how BSS is turning PR: Arma into a one-stop download. That way there won't be too many deviations and giant changes between servers but that could also be a bad thing. I'm not completely sure on that one but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

So I take it you have/are going to buy Arma 2? If you haven't yet, I'd suggest getting the Combined Operations pack and DLC. You don't have to buy the DLC and can wait untill it's cheaper during a Steam sale. I bought it off Steam during one of those sales and I don't really regret it but it might take longer for Steam to finally confirm the patch to everyone. I even gifted Snippers the BAF DLC during one such sale and just after that he gifted me back a PMC DLC. <3

Now if more people could comment about the game that would be appreciated. I'm kind of a fanboy so its hard for me to find bad things and trying not to relevate them.

Last edited by Da-Fort on Sun 31 Jul - 1:28:08; edited 1 time in total
Da-Fort
Da-Fort
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Voodoo Sun 31 Jul - 1:00:38

Haha, I'm greatful of your opinion anyway, and yes, It's rare to see a MBT transported into battle by chopper, simply because physic's doesn't allow it! Wink

I don't own it, I'm waiting on a good PC so I *Can* run it, but I'm planning to get OA, but what do the DLC's add?
Voodoo
Voodoo
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Da-Fort Sun 31 Jul - 1:05:26

The DLCs add HQ texture for the "free" DLC versions of themselves and vehicles you're going to see on most servers. Only BAF and PMC vehicles and weaponry. American, Russian and Takistani weaponry and vehicles will still be HQ. Each DLC also adds a campaign, I'm not quite sure on the lenght of them because to be completely honest I haven't completed any of the campaigns. I mainly bought the game for MP and I played a lot of MP.

Now ACE is easier to setup with CO sadly enough. I'm not sure of any limitations you'd have but you should definitely ask Xasper as he had OA when using ACE. Kind of funny how he actually hated ACE at first but after Ghost pushed him into trying it again he absolutely loves it (I think).

Also I don't know if you've noticed by now but I edit my post a lot. It might be different in 5 min time.

Now this seems contrary to all the realistic stuff I promoted but there is this addon called Island Life where you can earn money in different ways. Kind of like GTA but more RP-ish on an island. I played the addon with a certain other clan on PR we shall not name. Not to promote this certain addon but just to prove to you how different these addons can be. The video I linked there is one I made myself. Maybe Snipps and I will make an NwA training video on ACE/ACRE. There is a lot to cover but I'll try to have the most comprehensive videos and in the smallest allotted time.

Right thats it, its 3 AM. I'm going to bed.

Edit: Ah, ah! I know another drawback. When trying to shoot or snipe some one from long range they seems to rubberband a bit. It used to be a lot worse but it could be a lot better. Also when they prone it looks like only their heads are sticking out but it is the draw distance that is mucking about, this only applies at long distance though.
Speaking about sniping, you actually have to factor in the distance and windage at long range. You get a tool to calculate windpeeds and a barebones table to apply the right settings to your scope. I believe that a couple of our members found out how to use the SVD from that point on. I didn't pay much attention to it because I barely use a sniper rifle.
Da-Fort
Da-Fort
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Voodoo Sun 31 Jul - 11:55:57

Thanks mate! I won't be doing too much sniping.. if anything, I'd me more of a marksman, the squad-based Medium range kind'a guy, or just normal infantry. So that wouldn't bother me too much. Thanks for going out of your way to type me that though Wink
Voodoo
Voodoo
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Xazper Sun 31 Jul - 13:49:24

Yeah game is pretty epic. Engine could be a million times better but I suppose it's great for it's scale (CoD = one finely crafted corridor, Arma2 = Several 100km^2-400km^2+ maps)

Best advice is to join a community, I highly recommend United Operations. All you have to do is install Six updater, link to their repository and keep it updated when you start the game. I've had some amazing rounds on there but they do vary in quality and you don't always get put under a competent group leader, but it's still great fun.
Xazper
Xazper
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Registration date : 2010-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Voodoo Tue 2 Aug - 16:53:53

You don't always get put under a competent group leader, but it's still great fun.

Well, Seems a little like me on PR.. Me being the non-competent SL :D
Voodoo
Voodoo
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by deadly22sniper Tue 2 Aug - 16:58:41

ACE & ACRE are awesome. I especially love how much realism ACRE brings as you have to have half-decent radio procedure and you can only talk to people in the same net and within range.

The maps are big enough to get lost in if you don't know how to use your navigation aids!

United Operations is the best place to play. They run Coop and TvT (Team vs. Team, a.k.a. PvP). I really need to get back on sometime.

Da-Fort wrote:I've had instances in Domination or Warfare (unlocked using research) where you can use a Chinook to hook up an APC and fly it off somewhere but I couldn't do it with the Abrams or some trucks. Could be the Abrams is just too heavy to transport.

You're not going to get a tank lifted by chopper. Even if it could lift the weight, you wouldn't want that much mass slung underneath like a pendulum.
deadly22sniper
deadly22sniper
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Registration date : 2008-11-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Da-Fort Wed 3 Aug - 19:16:35

I was able on some servers. It was directly underneath the chopper, like welded.
I found it funny how the crew could still sit in them and shoot. (or drop them on enemies)
Now if I remember correctly you couldn't crew a vehicle when it was being transported in ACE.

About flying tanks I will refer to you: http://rob.nu/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/flying-tanks.jpg

edit: Now that I think about it. I remember a friend and I were behind enemy lines in a village when our tank got disabled. Another friend flew in a second tank for us and dropped it right in the village. That was soo cool, maybe a bit lame. We took over the village. Was a great night ops.
Da-Fort
Da-Fort
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Voodoo Wed 3 Aug - 20:39:34

I lol'd at the flying tanks!

Yes, Totally totally getting this now, The only thing that WAS holding me back was the lack of PvP, or I shall now refer to as TvT, and thats in.. Right, one little question too, Is ACE/ACRE an addon? IE, The Project Reality ARMA 2 V0.1, can you play PR:A2 AND be using ACE/ACRE at the same time? I couldn't handle the epicness..
Voodoo
Voodoo
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Da-Fort Thu 4 Aug - 2:11:48

Voodoo wrote:I lol'd at the flying tanks!

Yes, Totally totally getting this now, The only thing that WAS holding me back was the lack of PvP, or I shall now refer to as TvT, and thats in.. Right, one little question too, Is ACE/ACRE an addon? IE, The Project Reality ARMA 2 V0.1, can you play PR:A2 AND be using ACE/ACRE at the same time? I couldn't handle the epicness..

That's something I'm wondering. BSS is making a single mod. A place where you only have to download the installation files and be done with it.
But can we as a community put is next to other addons? Can server admins put PR Arma and Ace/Acre next to eachother? Can we put these in their maps or make our own? Will PR have its own radio system? Going from reading the news reels a while back ago I don't think these features will be in the first release. Maybe later, maybe.

I wouldn't worry about it though, it hasn't been released yet. I believe there was a bit of information about releasing it in July. There was the PR for BF2 update if that had to do with any delay. I'd suggest you start experiencing the game as soon as possible to see how good these addons really are. Before going haywire with PR.

If it has been postponed it might be for a while.
If I'm wrong, and I hope I am, please do explain to us.

Edit:
"So finally, we are now in a good position and remain on track to release in July. All of our other work, is still ongoing but at a lower priority, and will be available in future updates/releases, ie, Mastiff, CR2, Scimitar 2 and lots more."

Edit2: Also don't get me started on the small maps for CoD. C'mon, making a smaller map re-make of the prequels. Why do you want to keep playing a meatgrinder like Nuketown?
I played that game only once and I completely regret that decision. Counterstrike is better, hell even codfish is better.
Da-Fort
Da-Fort
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by deadly22sniper Thu 4 Aug - 10:30:53

I think we'll have to wait and see with PR:ArmA.

This guide will get you set up with all the needed United Operations mods:

http://forums.unitedoperations.net/index.php/topic/8297-the-united-operations-getting-started-guide/

They use a slick mod manager called SixUpdater. Makes things a lot simpler.
deadly22sniper
deadly22sniper
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Orford Thu 4 Aug - 11:31:11

ArmA 2 against bots aint what you may be used to with bots as Those fuckers are tough. Its good to get 10-15 of use attacking a town full of them, you have to be slow and steady.

It may of been mentioned before but if it hasnt, Playing PR then playing ArmA 2 is like going from BF2 to PR, ArmA 2 is a hole new world of fighting on a PC.

Its a Shame as I dont think PR:ArmA2 mod will captur any of this and its just a fancy version and updated graphics of the normal PR. No ACE no ACRE all coms with be based on in game radio which is crap compared to ACRE.

Orford
Orford
Orford

Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by capitan Thu 4 Aug - 11:42:09

I think they are gonna get there eventually orford, its only v0.1 after all. Remember PR v0.1? = vBF2 with higher damage and no hit indicator. Give it time. I read somewhere there is a ArmA2 plugin for mumble? So that can at least fill the ACRE gap a little bit

capitan

Registration date : 2011-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Orford Thu 4 Aug - 11:56:49

Hope so, reading the Dev blogs cannot find the one atm but they said there is no intention to include any other coms as the ingame is all that is needed. If you ever used the ingame Its hit and miss at the best. Not being a ArmA 2 elitest but it would be a shame not to make it all it can be.

PR0.1 was the fisr respected mod for BF2 so it was all new., PR:ArmA is playing cacthy up and there are already alot of tool and addon already made to a high standard. The DEV are trying to keep it to a one click dose all install. SO far they have changed the game play and added some new textures. It not easy to mess with the game engine and for that they get much kudos, but the things they need to do to make those new game play modes work have already been done and are there for the using. But due to the we are PR DEV and holding onto what they have done with the game engine other devs of addon are doing the same and not letting pr dev use there tool either. Tit for tat in the addon stakes. Thats why they arnt doing it. A couple of PR:ArmA devs have left the project the ones who have worked on the other ArmA addons thats why the reliase of PR:ArmA has been delayed. It should of been out by now dose that not tell you some thing.

Orford
Orford
Orford

Back to top Go down

Post by Naytdawg Thu 4 Aug - 13:13:33

I was a op flashpoint fan, still play it today, I liked arma1 but couldn't get my head around the graphics of 2, dot Luke the blurs, the textures, none of it, if I ever get back on my computer I'll be one of the PR team left behind the big move
Naytdawg
Naytdawg
Nayt
Nayt

Registration date : 2010-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Orford Thu 4 Aug - 14:04:26

the new arma dont use the blur or o9wt like it.

also we who play ArmA2 have addons that take of the blur and head nbobbing etc. so its just graphics gravy with added boomb bang and destruction.

Orford
Orford
Orford

Back to top Go down

Post by Naytdawg Thu 4 Aug - 14:18:03

Hmmm maybe then.. Let's see what the future brings
Naytdawg
Naytdawg
Nayt
Nayt

Registration date : 2010-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by deadly22sniper Sun 7 Aug - 16:09:37

Nayt, I turned off the blur as soon as I found out I could. :D

If you want ACRE gameplay, there's always UO, but I do hope the Devs implement at least a simpler version later on.
deadly22sniper
deadly22sniper
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Da-Fort Thu 11 Aug - 15:58:07

I don't know why I haven't seen this yet but on the PR Arma 2 forum section, in a mini-update one of the devs said that the mod will hopefully be released at the end of August.
Da-Fort
Da-Fort
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by deadly22sniper Fri 12 Aug - 10:09:45

Yay!
deadly22sniper
deadly22sniper
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down