*NwA* Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need some FRAPS help.

+3
Naytdawg
sugnat
Nixy23
7 posters

Go down

Need some FRAPS help. Empty Need some FRAPS help.

Post by Nixy23 Fri 12 Aug - 16:31:39

As the title says, I need some help setting up FRAPS properly.

The issue I currently have (and I've had it for years) is that I cannot record any external sound input. Let me clear that up a bit:

Fraps is set to record at 45 FPS.
Fraps is set to record Full-Size.
Fraps is set to record Windows sound (multi-channel) WITH external input from my headset.

The outcome is this:

A huge file (recording at that much FPS at 1680*1050 gives you a file size of about 50MB per second!), with perfect quality. Looking at it is as if I were playing the game myself. The in-game sound is also present. Then someone on say TS or mumble speaks, and makes FRAPS record external input. That's when things go wrong. The sound all together vanishes from the recorded video (including the previously present in-game audio), and it lags like a mofo. Frame rates of less than 10 per second. If the external sound recording stops, because no one is talking on TS or mumble, everything reverts back to normal. 45 FPS again like I recorded, and the in-game sound returns as well.

I used to record my old WoW guilds' progress, and make cinematic-type videos with the recorded footage, including in-game sound and whatever was recorded from TS. I never had any issues. This was from mid 2006 to start 2008. After that I upgraded my FRAPS to a newer version and I started having those problems. I had to call making the video's off, which really was a shame. I did try to record a few times in the years following that, but with no success. I've been busy with -trying- to record again for a few days now, thinking that a new headset and a new sound-card (the one from the headset) would maybe solve these issues. Sadly, they did not, and I am still having the same issues. Whenever external sound is recorded, the recorded footage drops from 45 FPS to sub 10, and all sound vanishes.

Does anyone here have any experience with FRAPS, and might know the solution to this problem? It seems rather specific since I am unable to find out much about it, and searching for this on google is a nightmare in terms of keywords.

Greets,
Nixy

Last edited by Nixy23 on Fri 12 Aug - 16:50:20; edited 1 time in total
Nixy23
Nixy23

Registration date : 2011-05-01

Back to top Go down

Need some FRAPS help. Empty Re: Need some FRAPS help.

Post by sugnat Fri 12 Aug - 16:43:05

I have fraps.....but all of my externals record, or atleast mumble does I think, will test it out tonight.

What OS do you have? Vista or 7?
sugnat
sugnat

Registration date : 2010-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Nixy23 Fri 12 Aug - 16:49:31

Using vista here still. Always have, even with the old recordings that did work fine. Not switching to 7 until I have my new PC, since it's a waste to format it now Razz

Edit: It's weird, but de-selecting my headsets microphone as primary input device, and re-selecting it as primary input device again seems to have partially fixed it. I can at least hear myself talk now when I am recording.. We'll see if I can fix it any further :x
Nixy23
Nixy23

Back to top Go down

Post by sugnat Fri 12 Aug - 18:27:58

Do you have the dont sync audio and video selected?
sugnat
sugnat

Registration date : 2010-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Naytdawg Fri 12 Aug - 18:38:07

As much as I do with fraps I can't help with audio. It's not often I record slot of audio, other than the gameplay, I would think so long as all the sound is working correctly in windows, you tell fraps o record and boom!

What is the end result your trying to achive?

Is using a video editor with mutiple audio feeds not an option?
Naytdawg
Naytdawg
Nayt
Nayt

Registration date : 2010-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Nixy23 Fri 12 Aug - 19:51:37

I will be using either Sony Vegas or get a students license for Adobe CS5, and use Premiere. I don't mind recording different channels of audio, it is just easier if you record everything together. It is quite a bit of effort to record the game, TS and mumble with different programs, only to add them together again when editing. (is that considered lazy? Razz)

The issue -was- however that it stopped recording sound, the moment an external signal came through. By external I mean from a source other than the game FRAPS is currently recording.

As for the settings, the only things I can choose are:

- Record Vista(windows) Sound (either stereo or multichannel)
- Record External Input (Logitech G35 headset)
* - optional: Only record External Input when pressing *button*

I have it set on Record Vista - Stereo, and Record External Input. I can not speak in my microphone and it will record my voice (something it did not do before changing my default mic from- and back to my headset), but I still can't record TS.
Nixy23
Nixy23

Back to top Go down

Post by Naytdawg Fri 12 Aug - 23:34:17

Could be he way g35 USB drivers work, I had all sorts of issues with them, hence why I gave them away to snips
Naytdawg
Naytdawg
Nayt
Nayt

Back to top Go down

Post by Nixy23 Fri 12 Aug - 23:38:12

I've only had the G35 for a couple of months. I have had these issues for over 3 years.. can't relate it just to them.
Nixy23
Nixy23

Back to top Go down

Post by kerrermanisNL Sat 13 Aug - 1:39:34

Quick question, have you tried re-installing it? Sometimes that works. Or roll back to an older version or newer version of fraps?
kerrermanisNL
kerrermanisNL

Registration date : 2011-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Nixy23 Sat 13 Aug - 2:50:41

Yeah, I've reinstalled it several times as time passed by. Never did try an older version. Maybe I can find a pirated one somewhere, but that's not my style as much Razz
Nixy23
Nixy23

Back to top Go down

Post by kerrermanisNL Sat 13 Aug - 6:32:50

Isnt Fraps free? How can there be a "pirated" one?
kerrermanisNL
kerrermanisNL

Registration date : 2011-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Naytdawg Sat 13 Aug - 9:22:51

Full version of fraps is paid for and has no watermarks

Whe I make my vids I use a combination of

Avs video converter, fraps, Sony Vegas 10, photoshop, after effects and xara 3d text maker, and a thing called action effects or something, it's a rar of pre rendered clips and effects
Naytdawg
Naytdawg
Nayt
Nayt

Back to top Go down

Post by Bounty Sat 13 Aug - 9:59:43

I use Xsplit, its rather good but mainly used by livestreamist's.

Good -

Free during beta

Multilple inputs at once

Scenes so you can change resolution or add a splash

Bad -

Soon out of beta
Bounty
Bounty
*NwA* Admin
*NwA* Admin

Registration date : 2010-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by bJN.uk Sat 13 Aug - 11:16:28

I've never had the problems you've described, and I've been using fraps for years as well. Have you ever thought it could just be the specs of your PC aren't up to the job anymore? It can get quite demanding to be playing a game full whack, with all the image and audio processing going on, and then to start recording that to a hard drive as well, it's a lot of strain.
bJN.uk
bJN.uk
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Registration date : 2010-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Nixy23 Sat 13 Aug - 11:33:35

I don't think my PC is that much of a scrap heap.

E8400 running at 4.0 GHz
4GB RAM running at 1000 MHz (downclocked from 1066)
GTX 260 overclocked slightly
I record to a separate hard disk, Caviar Black 1TB (4.8ms access time, 64MB cache and 7200 RPM) to not strain my slower main disk with it. I've however tried both disks, and does not seem to matter. I do get less lag when recording in-game when storing it on the second disk though.

As for FRAPS itself. The trial version does indeed add a watermark, and is limited to recording clips of 30 seconds max. I guess I'll have a fiddle with my sound settings again.
Nixy23
Nixy23

Back to top Go down

Post by Orford Sat 13 Aug - 19:32:44

Id try setting your mic to monitor. ie your mic is constantly live in your head set. Rather than you hear nothing in your headset when you use TS VOIP or Mumble. I have monitor turned off as i hate hearing myself breath when im playing but it dose lead to me talking loud as i cannot hear myself when theres lots of noise from in game.

win 7, right clcik speaker icon in task bar, recordings, highlite mic, propertise, listen. check box listen to this device.

This will then let fraps record everything coming out your speakers and not cut out to just record your mic whenh you activate it. thus you set fraps to just record output to speakers.

Only draw back when recording it will record every thing from your mic, make sure your in a quiet room and dont breath to heavy.

Thats the only way i ever got it to work.

Orford
Orford
Orford

Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down