*NwA* Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PC freeze randomly, doesn't respond to unput, teamspeak keep running

+3
bJN.uk
deano-uk
Xazper
7 posters

Go down

PC freeze randomly, doesn't respond to unput, teamspeak keep running Empty PC freeze randomly, doesn't respond to unput, teamspeak keep running

Post by Xazper Thu 5 May - 20:45:05

This is driving me nuts. After the weekend where I brought my PC to a friends it freezes at random, either for a minute or two or permanently. It doesn't respond to input of any kind but mouse keep moving and I can still hear Teamspeak fine. It doesn't matter if I'm playing ARMA or on desktop it still freezes. It's now gotten so bad I can't even boot without it freezing right as the desktop comes on.

According to my g15 monitor CPU drops to idle, GPU to 0% and RAM stay where they are.

It is not an overheating problem as cpu max at 45degrees and GPU at 80degrees.

I have a 850 watt PSU which has been working fine since January when I assembled the computer.

I suspect it might be the harddrive as I got an error at boot once and I had to do some kinda scan but as far as I remember it came up with no problems detected.

EDIT: I just tried booting in safe mode and it worked fine. I managed to download new graphics drivers and start installing. Then about halfway through the progress bar just stopped. I clicked on the start button and the taskbar froze. Then I clicked on a desktop icon and the desktop froze. It then stopped listening to input completely. My suspicion is that It's all loaded in RAM and then when I click something to open it, it has to find it on the harddrive which causes it to freeze. Plausible?
Xazper
Xazper
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Registration date : 2010-10-28

Back to top Go down

PC freeze randomly, doesn't respond to unput, teamspeak keep running Empty Re: PC freeze randomly, doesn't respond to unput, teamspeak keep running

Post by deano-uk Thu 5 May - 21:54:10

i know it sound stupid but in transit you may have dis-logged sumit, try making sure every thing is pushed in properly. i had a mate round not long ago and his comp kept on freezin every so often, opened his case to find 1 of his ram stick wasnt in prop . this prob wont help but hey its worth a shot if you aint done this already
deano-uk
deano-uk
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

PC freeze randomly, doesn't respond to unput, teamspeak keep running Empty Re: PC freeze randomly, doesn't respond to unput, teamspeak keep running

Post by bJN.uk Thu 5 May - 22:24:20

Try and get memtest downloaded and run that, give it a fair chance to really stress the memory to check for errors.

Failing that, it sounds like a hard-drive error. A CPU / GPU error wouldn't cause that sort of lock, that would be pinned more towards RAM or hard drive.

Similar to above, when in transit something might have knocked the hard-drive (internally) and that could be causing an issue - assuming it's a mechanical drive anyway.
bJN.uk
bJN.uk
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Registration date : 2010-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by gijohn2 Fri 6 May - 8:31:23

Mine does this every few days , Just freezes and the screen goes black then screams at me through the speakers =/

I think its something to do with the hard drive because i forgot to earth my self to get rid of the static when i installed my hard drive
gijohn2
gijohn2

Registration date : 2010-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Xazper Fri 6 May - 9:56:24

I've checked that nothing got dislodged, at least the the major components. That was my first thought as well, I'll check the ram blocks, I figured they're so small and lightweight they couldn't fall out.

I'll give memtest a go after the weekend when I come home from family vacation.

If not then I'll just have to borrow another harddrive from a friend and test.
Xazper
Xazper
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarranauha200 Fri 6 May - 15:45:41

I had the freezes. Bying new hard drive helped.

Try run Chkdsk.exe

Tarranauha200

Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Xazper Wed 11 May - 20:21:35

Quick update: I managed to install vista and run seagate disk tools. Came up with errors in all diagnostics I ran. I think it's safe to say there's something wrong with the drives read capabilities.. have to RMA it so can't play for at least a week I fear :(
Xazper
Xazper
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Zer0 Thu 12 May - 6:00:35

PC freezes on CPU,RAM or HDD failures only...so check them.
If its HDD, ure saved, i mean its cheaper to replace a faulty HDD :D
Zer0
Zer0
*NwA* Admin
*NwA* Admin

Registration date : 2010-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post by TheShaydeeOne Thu 12 May - 13:31:45

And if the HDDs just freezing, you should be able to clone the contents on to another drive and not lose anything.
TheShaydeeOne
TheShaydeeOne
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Registration date : 2011-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Xazper Thu 12 May - 13:34:32

I only use it for gaming so nothing important other than my arma config files and i backed them up. The drive is only 5-6 months old so still under warrenty. Worst part is I have to send it in and then wait for a replacement :/
Xazper
Xazper
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Xazper Sat 28 May - 14:21:14

UPDATE: They've finally reviewed my case and they're sending a new HDD my way.

Had:
1TB 7200rpm
They send:
1.5TB 5400rpm

Dammit I don't need space I need speed!
I've complained but I doubt there's anything I can do. Best case I have to wait for the package, then return that, wait for them to re-review the case, then get a proper replacement. That could easily take another couple of weeks and I'm NOT going through that again.

Just gotta get that SSD I've been wanting to play Arma...
Xazper
Xazper
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bJN.uk Sat 28 May - 15:04:15

Well at least you got a result. And happy that I got it right. :lol!:

Out of curiosity, did you do the RMA through the manufacturer or the shop you bought it from? Was it bought online?

Generally speaking if you bought it from an online shop, like overclockers, you can send it to them, they will test if it's faulty and send you a new one within a few days and then they will deal with the RMA.
bJN.uk
bJN.uk
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Xazper Sat 28 May - 21:34:11

Bought in through komplett.dk and online shop. I mailed them yesterday asking if they had recevied it and was told they had a long list in backlog so they'd come in today (saturday) and work through it. Today at just around midday i received a mail saying they've sent a new one. Wasn't told what was wrong just that it was defective.
Xazper
Xazper
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bJN.uk Sat 28 May - 21:36:17

Yeah they rarely will tell you what's wrong. Generally with mechanical drives it's kinda hard to tell you what's wrong unless they literally rip it apart and inspect, which only the manufacturers should do. All they do is run a few scans and tests and if it turns up negative, you get a new one Wink
bJN.uk
bJN.uk
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down