*NwA* Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new gfx card and power

4 posters

Go down

new gfx card and power Empty new gfx card and power

Post by Mad-Mike Tue 13 Oct - 1:41:53

Hello lads im upgrading my gfx card soon and tht means i will need a new power supply, Ive got some gfx cards in mind in range of my budget..

1. Novatech GeForce GTX260 Sonic SLI 896MB DDR3 HDMI/Dual DVI PCI-Express = (what power supply will i need?).

2.SAPPHIRE 100279-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card = (what power supply will i need?).

I have links if needed, but if there is better ones please feel free to tell me about them Wink
also my budget is £150 but might go higher to £200, nt sure yet depends wt u think.

Cheers for advice mike.
Mad-Mike
Mad-Mike

Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

new gfx card and power Empty Re: new gfx card and power

Post by fatal_error.be Tue 13 Oct - 10:39:27

depending

are you going to get SLI or crossfire ??

ore yust 1 gpu ??

and it's NOT the Watt BUT the amp

on ya 12V you need to see and effiencie more then 75%

geek

(sorry english realy suckz ) ask will to tranclate :)
fatal_error.be
fatal_error.be
*NwA* Admin
*NwA* Admin

Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by mrdata94 Tue 13 Oct - 17:06:38

erm.....what kenny said :lol!:

Probalby the best answer from him.
mrdata94
mrdata94

Registration date : 2008-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Orford Tue 13 Oct - 17:36:14

good quality power supply`s will have stable 12v rails the more amps means it will run cooler. as you know stepping 240v down to 12v = heat so pulling 500watts out of 2x12v on a 600watt PSU will shorten its life alot and ultimatly provide poor qulity 12v accros your componants. where as 500watts over 2x12v on a 1000watt power supply will means the inners in the PSU wont have to work as hard when your parts are sucking on the 12v. like a McD`s milk shake the more watts of 12v you need the bigger the straw the less the PSU has to suck (wow top analagy).

I prefer ATI more bang for the money although nvidia work well with games that are out now (better drivers) ATI seam to make cards for games that will be coming out in the future ie our cards do this do that do the other but no games do that yet so why spend the money on ATI.. If your going to keep it for a while and playing the same game for a while go for nvidia. If you buy new games like you buy BO spray go for ATI. Thats really the only diffrence between the two apart from that its just down to what you can afford. out of the 2 you picked id go for the ATI. I looked at the 260 myself and then bought the 4870 1gb ATI may have more flip/flop/flaps and the nvidia may do less but the drivers may make better use of the card then the ati drivers do for the ATI card.. ask Kenny he knows more about drivers than me.

Orford
Orford
Orford

Back to top Go down

Post by fatal_error.be Wed 14 Oct - 10:38:57

Orford wrote:good quality power supply`s will have stable 12v rails the more amps means it will run cooler. as you know stepping 240v down to 12v = heat so pulling 500watts out of 2x12v on a 600watt PSU will shorten its life alot and ultimatly provide poor qulity 12v accros your componants. where as 500watts over 2x12v on a 1000watt power supply will means the inners in the PSU wont have to work as hard when your parts are sucking on the 12v. like a McD`s milk shake the more watts of 12v you need the bigger the straw the less the PSU has to suck (wow top analagy).

I prefer ATI more bang for the money although nvidia work well with games that are out now (better drivers) ATI seam to make cards for games that will be coming out in the future ie our cards do this do that do the other but no games do that yet so why spend the money on ATI.. If your going to keep it for a while and playing the same game for a while go for nvidia. If you buy new games like you buy BO spray go for ATI. Thats really the only diffrence between the two apart from that its just down to what you can afford. out of the 2 you picked id go for the ATI. I looked at the 260 myself and then bought the 4870 1gb ATI may have more flip/flop/flaps and the nvidia may do less but the drivers may make better use of the card then the ati drivers do for the ATI card.. ask Kenny he knows more about drivers than me.

happy happy happy

tip top will :lol!: happy71 :lol!:
fatal_error.be
fatal_error.be
*NwA* Admin
*NwA* Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down