*NwA* Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possibly buying new GFX card next month

+2
Viglen
Bullet2Hart
6 posters

Go down

Possibly buying new GFX card next month Empty Possibly buying new GFX card next month

Post by Bullet2Hart Mon 29 Jul - 6:39:18

Ok so I'm making a splash of some money next month, can't really afford too much my range is 90-140 which I know is a crappy range but I'm only looking for a budget card to take over from my crappy 9600gt.

Been doing a bit of research atm and the PNY GTX 650 1GB seems to be pushing the lower end of my budget and seems reletively good at high graphics (Lots of sites run their testing at maximum graphics, but I don't mind dropping a few if the fps is less than 25). It appears to be the best budget card in speed comparison wise under £100.

Now on the other side of my budget for ~£130 I could get the MSI HD 7850 1GB which is so far the best "Bang for your Buck" I've come across, It out-performs most other cards around it's price range from what I've seen at higher resolutions and just seems the best to buy.

Now then so These 2 cards are the ones I've found that match my budget on both ends, Is there better cards out there mid price range? I think I hit the nail on the head with the best for your cash with the MSI HD 7850, because I could pour an extra £30 more to be getting the same results from higher end cards, but the GTX 650 I'm not so sure that it's the BEST budget card for around £100.
By all means anything that could be  close to the MSI HD 7850 to with-in atleast 10 frames that is alot cheaper I'd love to find one, but I'm not having much luck. or if you could point me in the low range of my budget where a card is really worth getting and not spending the extra £20-30 on the MSI would be great :D

The GTX 660 is a possibility but a little over ~£160 stretches my budget a bit too much, although it performs very nicely, but there may be an AMD which beats it but I'm unaware atm.
But this MSI HD 7850 1GB is just looking too fine at the moment, and I hope I'm not falling into a trap! Opinions please!
Bullet2Hart
Bullet2Hart

Registration date : 2011-08-02

Back to top Go down

Possibly buying new GFX card next month Empty Re: Possibly buying new GFX card next month

Post by Viglen Mon 29 Jul - 9:44:06

Your best bet for the future is a 660 Scan have a decent one for £153 you won't find it cheaper anywhere else. 

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-gigabyte-gtx-660-windforce-2x2-28nm-pcie-30-(x16)-6008mhz-gddr5-gpu-1033mhz-boost-1098mhz-cores-

Free copy of Splinter Cell Blacklist
Viglen
Viglen
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Registration date : 2011-01-31

Back to top Go down

Possibly buying new GFX card next month Empty Re: Possibly buying new GFX card next month

Post by MIDGET Mon 29 Jul - 9:46:01

BULLET ARNT YOU ON DDR2 RAM ?

MIDGET

Registration date : 2011-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullet2Hart Mon 29 Jul - 11:31:36

Yeah atm I do, that's why I was thinking GTX 650 for the time being, since that won't bottleneck too hard, and I'll still see atleast some improvement specially in higher resolutions. My CPU as old as it is never reaches much above 60% when running games in high detail, the thing letting me down is my GPU processor, I worked out amongst a tonne of research and I should be getting atleast a steady FPS rate compared to the measly 10-20 fps I'm getting on most games I play now.

All these graphs are telling me that when I actually improve my settings from LOW to MEDIUM I'm actually getting better FPS because of the load it takes off my CPU. But my GPU starts struggling withthe load of medium while my CPU is happily dancing along.
At the moment my CPU is out-performing my GPU which actually means I'm wasting ALOT of energy, I'd rather have it the other way around and have too much energy which is transformed into a bottleneck which sounds weird but it would actually be better for me.
If i'm not using the GPU to it's full potential, it'll also save it some life span which is always good haha.
But right now I just need to find that sweet spot where my CPU is atleast matching my GPU or my GPU is a little higher because I know my CPU can handle alot more.

But like I said I'm looking for a budget "Stand in" card till I can get everything else sorted out first.
If buying a new MOBO with DDR3 just to be able to run the 7850 or the 660 then I would probably consider it but if I can avoid having to do that for atleast a while but still have an increase with what I have at the moment I would rather do that.

Hense why I asked you guys for help, I should've included my specs tbh lol.

Last edited by Bullet2Hart on Mon 29 Jul - 11:45:11; edited 2 times in total
Bullet2Hart
Bullet2Hart

Back to top Go down

Post by ExeTick Mon 29 Jul - 11:39:10

I would recommend 560 TI instead of 650. 

its almost the same but 560 is cheaper. 
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/858?vs=781

Edit: seems to be running short on 560 TIs Razz

ExeTick

Registration date : 2011-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullet2Hart Mon 29 Jul - 11:44:19

I was looking at the ti ranges and I'm not really that interested in them being honest, I would prefere the next load up, like the 560ti compares to the 660.
Bullet2Hart
Bullet2Hart

Back to top Go down

Post by Orford Mon 29 Jul - 12:55:18

I would go for the 560ti if you can find one. Very good card and overclock very nice.

I think the 7850 would be a waste of money and would only consider one if you go for the 2GB version as you will need the extra GPU RAM to take the load of your CPU if your expecting your GPU to be doing more like textures etc, with the rest of your PC spec being on the edge I would get the lower end of your budget as any thing else would be money wasted.

If after all this you tell us you are using and old 15" CRT monitor at 50Htz I'll come round and skull f*k you any way, lol

Orford
Orford
Orford

Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullet2Hart Mon 29 Jul - 13:02:19

haha nah I'm using a 22' HDTV. my 15' is sat in my wardrobe collecting dust Razz

But yeah the 7850 would be great if the rest of my cpu was compatiable I suppose, so I'll just have to give it a miss for now and consider between the 650/660 or the 550ti, not sure whats best for money atm

Last edited by Bullet2Hart on Mon 29 Jul - 13:04:40; edited 1 time in total
Bullet2Hart
Bullet2Hart

Back to top Go down

Post by Delta Mon 29 Jul - 13:02:56

To be totally honest bullet it would be better to go down a model year (eg 6XX-5XX series) in order to get a better card.  A 560Ti will outperform a 650 even though it is slightly older.
Delta
Delta
*NwA* Administrator
*NwA* Administrator

Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullet2Hart Mon 29 Jul - 13:09:54

well I just did a comparison between the 550ti and 660.
http://www.hwcompare.com/13319/geforce-gtx-550-ti-vs-geforce-gtx-660/
660 turns out around £145 for a good manufacturer and warrenty.
550ti is about £105

It's worth the extra for the price of the 660, but it's still stretching the budget abit... Eugh guess I'll just have to see what wins - patiance or impatiance, I'll have the money for the 550ti 2 weeks before the 660, so it's just a case of if I can hold out that extra 2 weeks lol.
Bullet2Hart
Bullet2Hart

Back to top Go down

Post by Orford Mon 29 Jul - 13:20:56

Orford
Orford
Orford

Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullet2Hart Mon 29 Jul - 13:22:33

Saying that I just looked at the Radeon equivilent for the same price... the 7870.
http://www.hwcompare.com/13302/geforce-gtx-660-vs-radeon-hd-7870/

pretty even apart from the pixel rate has a 36% difference... guna look up some numbers now
Bullet2Hart
Bullet2Hart

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullet2Hart Mon 29 Jul - 13:24:10

http://www.stuff-uk.net/p-1328137.aspx?gclid=CIvekYHZ1LgCFcLHtAodo3YANA
Same price but better :S

Ok so it's looking like the 7870 is the best high end of my budget.... which sucks because now I'd rather get that.
Chances are when I upgrade my MOBO the 7870 will still be quite a good performer...

So now I just gotta decide, Do i get the cheaper option, but later have to upgrade it anyway, or go with the more expensive option, having alot of it going to waste but when I finally upgrade it's still a reletively good card.
I suppose it's only £30 difference which is probably worth getting the 7870...

Oh well thanks for the input guys, I'll just have to figure out on the day what I#m prepared to spend :3

Last edited by Bullet2Hart on Mon 29 Jul - 13:29:52; edited 1 time in total
Bullet2Hart
Bullet2Hart

Back to top Go down

Post by Delta Mon 29 Jul - 13:29:15

bullet don't use hardware compare use AnandTech as it lists actual measured framerates rather than comparing the list of specifications on the box.
Delta
Delta
*NwA* Administrator
*NwA* Administrator

Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullet2Hart Mon 29 Jul - 13:32:48

Yeah I was doing that seperately but trying not to spam too many links haha, yeah the 7870 appears to perform better on mostly everything in comparison to the 7850 and the 660.

So it looks like it's going to be the 7870, since the price range is less than 5% difference.

Not sure it's the best "Budget" card though, but I now see that budget cards, if you're going to upgrade soon anyway, really arn't worth getting, you're basically throwing money away with them.
So I learned to not be a cheap skate and just splash the extra cash for the cards that actually perform well enough to be relevent in an upgrade.
Bullet2Hart
Bullet2Hart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down