*NwA* Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Radio discipline

+2
Zach
Chris_Kampfgurke
6 posters

Go down

Radio discipline Empty Radio discipline

Post by Chris_Kampfgurke Mon 26 Mar - 22:42:52

Just a little guide for radio use in the game.

http://kezei.net/arma2/
Chris_Kampfgurke
Chris_Kampfgurke
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Registration date : 2011-01-09

Back to top Go down

Radio discipline Empty Re: Radio discipline

Post by Zach Tue 27 Mar - 10:45:34

I like the idea of communicating on a more serious level, but it is not likely to work. For this to work all of the current squad leaders (Chris, John, Orford, Snippers, Voodoo, and myself) would have to learn proper radio procedure and actually follow it. While I have no problem doing this I am not sure that the others would as well. Maybe those who would be willing to learn it can post their intentions here? If so, we can get a list of the best SL Wink .

I will question the logic of having different squads on different frequencies. We tried this last night and it led to quite a lot of confusion. If two squads (or teams) are under a combined number of 12 why have different channels? Of course one could argue that the nets would be crammed with traffic, but if the traffic only relates to the game isn't that more realistic?

On similar note, radio discipline, or a lack thereof, is a constant point of friction while playing the game. This is causing the amount of enjoyment I get from the game to go down considerably. I don't play one mission on one game that takes at least one hour just to hear people (more than one) "discussing" radio discipline in-game. A balance needs to be found by those playing the game, and I think the best way for this to happen is to put the radio discipline level up to a vote before the game is even loaded to the briefing. You either play with your game face on or you don't.
Radio discipline 666915

Last edited by Klutz93 on Tue 27 Mar - 10:46:12; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Grammar)

Zach

Registration date : 2011-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by capitan Tue 27 Mar - 12:41:18

Yea there is a balance that needs to be found. Chit chat should probably be kept off the radios, but in local it is fine imo. I like ArmA and realism, but I also like having a laugh with my mates. The reason I can't stand UO is it's just boring not being able to joke around and chat to people. Obviously that's just how i feel personally, and if more people want proper radio discipline then thats fine :)

capitan

Registration date : 2011-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Voodoo Tue 27 Mar - 15:48:58

I propose like Cap said, if you want ARMA to be a proper MilSim -

Radio - Dead quiet unless necessary, IE, Contacts/transport/CAS etc. No bollocks over it.

Local - Talk normally.. Don't go mental by screaming, as some maps have the "Enemys can hear local speech" plug in, but if you want a bit of a talk and a chat, I don't see why local can't be used.. I mean, Like in real life, it makes those long treks that little less boring with use of banter.
Voodoo
Voodoo
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Registration date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnScholten Tue 27 Mar - 16:57:26

in arma, 85% of time is walking (so chatting) 5% is planning and 10% is the actual fight.

So far radio discipline has not been too bad in my opinion.

Various callsigns most of the time are not very usefull when you have only two leaders on the net, if it goes over 3, a simple callsign may be used imo.

Radio discipline could be very short and brief in rules.

For example, no 'eeeeeeeeh' or that kind of sounds over the net, think before you say. Make sure your communication doesnt last longer than 15 seconds max.

The one who requests communication is not the one that ends

Example:
1 : This is 1 for 2, do you copy?
2 : This is 2 for 1, solid copy, go ahead.
1 : The way you walk looks completely normal to me, but those shoes, I fancy them, where did you buy them, over?
2 : I bought them at the supermarket, over.
1 : Roger that, thanks you for the intormation, over.
2 : You're welcome, out.

As you can see, 1 started the conversation, so 2 should end it. That is how it should be done, at least, in naval radio communication. Please people, don't brag about how awesome radio things you know about in real life or something.

Local can be about anything, just with big groups when there's discuss in the plan etc, well, everyone shuts up ofcourse.

Some people may think I am imature or anything, well, think again. I'm just one of the persons who can switch from humor to serious in the wink of an eye, and I forget about the incapability of others all the time.

Excuse me for that.

JohnScholten

Registration date : 2011-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Voodoo Tue 27 Mar - 17:08:35

Same as John. I can be taking the piss out of you one minute, then get mad as to why you aren't in position and suppressing that target Wink
Voodoo
Voodoo
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnScholten Tue 27 Mar - 17:29:25

Voodoo wrote:Same as John. I can be taking the piss out of you one minute, then get mad as to why you aren't in position and suppressing that target Wink

I can take the piss out of you because you got lost in a 1 square meter forrest one minute,. and continue doing that for days.

JohnScholten

Registration date : 2011-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by TheShaydeeOne Tue 27 Mar - 18:22:27

JohnScholten wrote:
Voodoo wrote:Same as John. I can be taking the piss out of you one minute, then get mad as to why you aren't in position and suppressing that target Wink

I can take the piss out of you because you got lost in a 1 square meter forrest one minute,. and continue doing that for days weeks.

Fixed that for you John.
TheShaydeeOne
TheShaydeeOne
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Registration date : 2011-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Voodoo Tue 27 Mar - 20:57:22

-.- We were in a jungle, I had no GPS, and a map of the Falkland isles. YOU EXPECT ME TO GET OUTTA THERE!?
Voodoo
Voodoo
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris_Kampfgurke Tue 27 Mar - 22:27:44

this was less meant as a strict guide line, more to improve radio efficiency.
AND ofc one day, it will take us out to the dedicated servers, then its will be good to know about (or at least read about) this stuff.

points that are true usefull, i think:

- the radio ABC (Accuracy, Breivity, Clarity)
- order of call: initiating, message, ending "[Receiving callsing/name] this is [sending callsign/name], over..." and so on
- proper use of "over" or/and "out"

evrything else is exp on big servers.
Chris_Kampfgurke
Chris_Kampfgurke
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Registration date : 2011-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down