*NwA* Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[3dAC] A Guide to Radio Communication and Squadleader radio

+13
Jay Scott
capitan
SmoothIsFast6
Bang2Rights
Naytdawg
Robskiet
ukVandal
Stealthgato
Chris_Kampfgurke
MasterG
Tarranauha200
Jevski
curry-chicken
17 posters

Go down

[3dAC] A Guide to Radio Communication and Squadleader radio Empty [3dAC] A Guide to Radio Communication and Squadleader radio

Post by curry-chicken Sun 10 Jul - 14:06:36

[3dAC] A Guide to Radio Communication and Squadleader radio 3rdac_logo_%C3%BCberarbeitet

A Guide to Radio Communication and Squadleader radio

I.) How to talk?

I.I) Common Words

RADIO CHECK
What is my signal strength and readability, i.e., how do you hear me?

ROGER
I have heard and understood your transmission.

WILCO
I have heard and understood your instructions, and will comply with them.

OVER
I have finished my transmissions and turn the channel over to you to transmit.

CLEAR
I am finished with this communication and am standing by on the channel.

OUT
I have completed transmission and am completely finished and closing this station or switching to another channel.

AFFIRM / AFFIRMATIVE
Yes.

ALL AFTER
The portion of the message to which I make reference is all which follows.

ALL BEFORE
The portion of the message to which I make reference is all which comes before.

BREAK
I hereby indicate the separation of text from other portions of the message.

CORRECT
You are correct, or what you have transmitted is correct.

CORRECTION
An error has been made in this transmission. Transmission will continue with the last word correctly sent. The correct version is…

ETA
Estimated time of arrival.

ETD
Estimated time of departure.

ETR
Estimated time of return or repair.

FIGURES
FROM
The originator of this message.

I SPELL
I shall spell the next word phonetically.

OPS NORMAL
Used to say the patrol is normal in all respects, “operations normal”.

OUT
Used following the last line of the message transmitted, signifying the end of the transmission and nothing follows. No reply is required or expected.

OVER
Used following a transmission when a response from the other station is necessary. It is an invitation to the other station to transmit.

NEGATIVE
No or neg.

ROGER
I have received your transmission satisfactorily.

I SAY AGAIN
I am repeating transmission or the portion indicated

REQUEST YOU SAY AGAIN
you should repeat your transmission or the portion indicated.

SILENCE
(Spoken 3 times and pronounced SEE LONS) Cease all transmissions immediately. Silence will be maintained until lifted. Used to clear routine transmissions from a channel only when an emergency is in progress.

SILENCE FINI
(Pronounced SEE LONS FEE NEE) Silence is lifted. Indicates the end of an emergency and resumption of normal traffic.

SO FAR
During transmission with lots of information, this proword can be used between transmissions, to ensure all information is passed on correctly.

THIS IS
This transmission is from the station whose designator immediately follows.

TO
The addressees immediately following are addressed for action.

UNKNOWN STATION
The identity of the station which you are trying to establish communications with is unknown.

WAIT
I must pause for a few seconds.

WAIT OUT
I must pause longer than a few seconds.

WORD AFTER
The word to which I have reference is that which follows.

WORD
The word to which make reference is that which BEFORE precedes.

WRONG
Your last transmission was not correct. The correct version is…

I.II) Numerical Prowords
0 - ZAY-ROH
1 - WUN
2 - TOO
3 - TREE
4 - FOWER
5 - FIVE
6 - SIX
7 - SEVEN
8 - AIT
9 - NINER

I.III) NATO Phonetic Alphabet
A - ALPHA
B - BRAVO
C - CHARLIE
D - DELTA
E - ECHO
F - FOXTROT
G - GOLF
H - HOTEL
I - INDIA
J - JULIETT
K - KILO
L - LIMA
M - MIKE
N - NOVEMBER
O - OSCAR
P - PAPA
Q - QUEBEC
R - ROMEO
S - SIERRA
T - TANGO
U - UNIFORM
V - VICTOR
W -WHISKEY
X - XRAY
Y - YANKEE
Z - ZULU

I.IV) Quick radio check

Because “Roger” means that you have heard and understood, that is all you need to say for a successfull radio check. Its not needed to talk about the quality thats just more traffic in the channel. Radio check normally goes:

Curry's Squad: “Mumble SL check, this is squad 1. over.”
Skob's Squad: “Sqaud 1, this is Squad 2, Roger, over.”
Curry's Squad: “Squad 2, this is Squad 1, Roger, out.”

The point being that you want to spend as little time on the air as possible, so your position can't be triangulated. This is the shortest, by the book, way to communicate your intent, and be sure your communication was heard.

I.V) Roger & wilco

Roger = I have heard and understood your transmission.
Wilco = I have heard and understood your instructions, and will comply with them.

I.VI) Out

'Out' doesn't necessarily mean you are shutting down or switching channels. It just means you have said and heard all you need to say and hear, and you are ending that conversation. There are 2 schools of thought on “out”. One school says that the originator of a radio conversation always finishes it, and thus is the one who should say 'out'. The second school says that you never 'out' higher (i.e. you never tell someone who outranks you that the conversation is over; they tell you when it is over). In practice (officers being officers), the latter is more common.

I.VII) Repeat

Something I teach all my soldiers: Never mistake the proword 'Repeat' for 'Say Again'. 'Say Again' = Send your last transmission again. 'Repeat' = Fire last mission again. The latter is used with respect to artillery. If you go to check on the damage an artillery mission did, and you say 'repeat' on the radio, you might be in for a nasty surprise!

II) When to talk?

The most important thing on the battlefield is that all SL's have access to all informations which are available. It doesn't matter if a squad is getting that intel out of the teamchat or out of mumble. That traffic in the SL is not to much every SL have to decide if that intel is relevant to report in the SL chan.

II.I) Contact reports

All SL's have to use the radio and spott the contact on the map. All squads are using the map to navigate and coordinate their movement and objects. Additional to the marker on the map the SL can use the SL chan. To confirm the marker and to give more informations about the contact. For example number of contacts, direction of moving, equipment or unique location.

The marker is placed now is the SL using the radio.

Skob's Squad: “To all squads, this is Squad 2, we have eyes on enemy infantry in bravo 7-5. They're on the rooftop of the mansion. over.”

There are situations on the battlefield in which a SL is not able to use a radio. For example the SL is using a different kit as the officer or sniper kit or the SL is wounded and there is a danger-close situation for another squad or vehicle. Vehicle sqauds are most of the time not able to spott anything on the map. If a SL is reporting a contact in SL chan without spotting the contact on the map another SL has to do it.

Skob's Squad: “To all squads, this is Squad 2, we have eyes on enemy infantry in bravo 7-5. They're on the rooftop of the mansion, over.”
Curry's Squad: Squad 2, this is Squad 1. Roger, Standyby for marker, out.

Its not important to tell any other unit the movenment of a single infantry. Simply spott it on the map. If another unit is getting in range of that marker they will contact you about that.

II.II) For all other traffic

In the SL chan its necessary that while one unit is talking no other unit is talking. Except for a danger-close situation.

Curry's Squad: “Squad 3, this is squad 1. can your unit take over the defence of this flag, over.”
Agemman's Sqaud: "Squad 1, This ..."
Skob's Squad: “Sqaud 1, there is a bombcar heading your way, over.”
Curry's Squad: “Squad 2, this is Squad 1, Roger, out.”

In such situations its important to stop talking if your are not the reporting unit. If two units are talking at the same time the intel is getting mixed up or no one gets the intel.

Basically wait untill the channel is free of traffic. Then start talking like in part one of this guide. If two units are talking to each other stay back and wait for your turn. And try to reserve the SL chan as low as possible. Think about what your are going to say before pushing the button. And try to keep it as short and as simple as possible.

Agemman's Sqaud: "Squad 1, this squad 3. Roger we will take over the defence, over."
Skob's Squad: “Sqaud 6, this is squad 2. Can you drop us supplies, over.”
Stealth's Squad: “Squad 2, this is Squad , Roger supplies on the way, out.”

As SL its easier and faster to use the radio to call in supplies or support. Then using the SL chan.

[3dAC] Curry-Chicken

Last edited by curry-chicken on Sun 10 Jul - 15:06:53; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : my tags stay in the topic! or im gonna delete it! i did the hole job! if u have a problem with that talk to me or leave them up. not even a reply gj or something. sry but im PISSED.)
curry-chicken
curry-chicken

Registration date : 2010-10-26

Back to top Go down

[3dAC] A Guide to Radio Communication and Squadleader radio Empty Re: [3dAC] A Guide to Radio Communication and Squadleader radio

Post by curry-chicken Sun 10 Jul - 14:13:36

i think my part is done. ur turn. enforce mumble for heavy assets! :D
curry-chicken
curry-chicken

Back to top Go down

[3dAC] A Guide to Radio Communication and Squadleader radio Empty Re: [3dAC] A Guide to Radio Communication and Squadleader radio

Post by Jevski Sun 10 Jul - 15:45:39

I think its great, especially the "when to talk"

Speed is correct the use of radio should be used more.
Jevski
Jevski

Registration date : 2010-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarranauha200 Sun 10 Jul - 15:47:55

We been waiting for this, gonny read it later.
Everyone should read this.

Edit: Read this. Very nice guide, contains all the basics that you need to know. This should be official SL channel guide.

Tarranauha200

Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post by MasterG Sun 10 Jul - 16:10:17

[3dAC] A Guide to Radio Communication and Squadleader radio 879428
MasterG
MasterG
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Registration date : 2010-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris_Kampfgurke Sun 10 Jul - 17:22:23

Good guide, curry! [3dAC] A Guide to Radio Communication and Squadleader radio 879428
Chris_Kampfgurke
Chris_Kampfgurke
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Registration date : 2011-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealthgato Sun 10 Jul - 17:53:38

*SL channel spam*

Sea lions!

*silence*

Win.
Stealthgato
Stealthgato

Registration date : 2011-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by ukVandal Sun 10 Jul - 18:06:55

Nice read Curry.

ukVandal
Vandal
Vandal

Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Robskiet Sun 10 Jul - 18:29:25

Will be using this! maybe not the numeralpro words Razz
Robskiet
Robskiet

Registration date : 2010-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Naytdawg Sun 10 Jul - 18:43:13

Sierra lima...

Nice guide, good intel and for anyone that uses radio comms in real life, great, but it's a game. People won't learn it or use it more than a week.

Sorry to sheet in ya sandpit. I just think that's Best left to real life, it will add too much confusion, pubbers. Are. Thick. And they'll just get all tounge tied and trying to be all army and cocky
Naytdawg
Naytdawg
Nayt
Nayt

Registration date : 2010-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Robskiet Sun 10 Jul - 18:49:57

As long as people try and use it, and to some degree learn from endless talking! It's all golden :D
Robskiet
Robskiet

Registration date : 2010-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Bang2Rights Sun 10 Jul - 19:10:00

If you know me and how I play, you'll hear me use a little of this.

Honestly, when the s**t hits the fan and events are unfolding at the speed of light, its the only way to communicate quickly, clearly and concisely.

But there needs to be a balance, because if your playing with pubbers, they either won't understand you or just thing your a wack job.

Bang2Rights

Registration date : 2009-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarranauha200 Sun 10 Jul - 20:21:13

I know these already, It means I have read too many IRL radio guides or something :(

Tarranauha200

Back to top Go down

Post by SmoothIsFast6 Sun 10 Jul - 20:40:08

lima charlie curry

ever since a few weeks ago when i told people to use ur sqd number to make it nice and simple i see plenty using it now great job!

but one thing is radio discipline, people think they need to be an air craft controller and s**t, "a little to the right" "thanks" s**t gets to me sometimes lol but we are all getting stead fast good to see, smooth out

SmoothIsFast6

Registration date : 2011-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by curry-chicken Mon 11 Jul - 0:01:00

i think we just have to do and the others will follow.
curry-chicken
curry-chicken

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarranauha200 Mon 11 Jul - 0:37:58

curry-chicken wrote:i think we just have to do and the others will follow.

This

Tarranauha200

Back to top Go down

Post by capitan Mon 11 Jul - 9:13:26

Exactly, people will never learn if we all just get pissed at them and tell them to STFU. Point them towards the guide, and try and help them. Obviously there are some that don't wanna learn, they can f**k off!

capitan

Registration date : 2011-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Scott Mon 11 Jul - 15:46:12

Am with Nayt on this one! and yer i am also thick thx Nayt Razz

I can say alpha bravo charlie delta and that my limit all the rest goes in one ear and straight out the next faster than speed's diorrea running down his leg. :lol!:
Jay Scott
Jay Scott

Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by hitmanrules Mon 11 Jul - 16:25:19

That's the spirit. Ignorant people, you cant f**k off! :D

scotty...err
hitmanrules
hitmanrules

Registration date : 2010-12-01

Back to top Go down

Post by deadly22sniper Mon 11 Jul - 17:14:23

Had some good comms going on Dragonfly the other day where I was commanding the tank (from the top gun, which makes things easier in some ways, if less protected) and talking to pubbers in infantry squads.

I think the most important parts of radio procedure for our public server are establishing comms and self-identifying. (i.e. 'B, this is A', wait for reply then send message).

We don't need to strictly adhere to procedure, but a little extra effort on the sender's part makes things a lot easier for the receiver.
deadly22sniper
deadly22sniper
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Registration date : 2008-11-30

Back to top Go down

Post by SmoothIsFast6 Mon 11 Jul - 22:17:04

personally saying just the sqd number (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9) is fastest, easy to recognize when map is on the screen.

4 this is 1 message over

1, 4, send over

4 stfu k? 1 out

1 solid copy break.. go f**k urself 4 out

can't simplify it more than that...

Last edited by SmoothIsFast6 on Mon 11 Jul - 22:20:31; edited 1 time in total

SmoothIsFast6

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarranauha200 Mon 11 Jul - 22:25:15

You may not remember your squad number and it is harder to get what number he says.
Its easier to regognice TANK, rather than just 3.

Tarranauha200

Back to top Go down

Post by Viglen Tue 12 Jul - 2:06:21

This takes me back to sub school :) im a professional radio operator in the RN (submariner) and would love to share my knowledge but would have a hefty prison sentance and a trip to the job center if i did. What i will say is due to the nature of spelling mistakes and mispronunciation most talk among subs and surface fleet is done by prerecorded text based email ive ...... said to much

[3dAC] A Guide to Radio Communication and Squadleader radio 407285
Viglen
Viglen
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Registration date : 2011-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by SmoothIsFast6 Tue 12 Jul - 2:18:58

i think ur the only one that cant remember numbers, i mean come on all you do is see the number on your map screen cuts time by 90% if not more

yeah tank should be called tank.. but inf numbers are simple and easy

no prerecorded text based emails here lol.. can you imagine the spam

SmoothIsFast6

Back to top Go down

Post by speedhound1-WYD- Tue 12 Jul - 3:19:14

HAHAHAHA BUSTED......thats what you do when you go AFK....you send text messages from your Sub :lol!: , do you do the Kebab orders ? "70 donars over,,,extra chillie over,,,,Plymouth over,,,,,,2100 hours out" hehehe

speedhound1-WYD-

Registration date : 2010-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Naytdawg Tue 12 Jul - 7:27:40

The MoD called. Told them your busy.
Naytdawg
Naytdawg
Nayt
Nayt

Registration date : 2010-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down