*NwA* Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Book thread

+3
Nixy23
Crenshaw
Jevski
7 posters

Go down

The Book thread Empty The Book thread

Post by Jevski Tue 19 Feb - 1:29:28

We had posts about music, movies, jokes but none about books

Does any one here even read novels?

I read all my books on either my Ebook reader or my tablet.
Ive just finished Replay by Ken Grimwood in 2 days. Its kinda a more thoughtful and deeper version of the movie Groundhog Day.

Shot review clipped from somewhere

In the first part of “Replay”, Jeff Winston, 43, dies of a heart attack and finds himself back in his 18 year old body in college 1963, with all the memories of his previous life. He lives a full life making decisions based on what he knows is going to happen which leads to all types of paradoxes, ironies, tragedies, etc. External History is still the same: Same World Events, Sports Events, everything is the same except for his destiny and his life and how he effects the people around him. He lives a full life and then he “Replays” it again and then once more again! He changes his life each time based on his previous “Replays”

I primarily read Sci-fi with a mix of thrillers and horror mixed in. This was a pleasant surprise. Deep characters and a intriguing story. Its a story about loss, regret and what could have been.
Jevski
Jevski

Registration date : 2010-03-31

Back to top Go down

The Book thread Empty Re: The Book thread

Post by Crenshaw Tue 19 Feb - 2:26:58

I'm a Sci-Fi person as well. One series I've been working on is the "Night Angel Trilogy".

Some others I have read are the Starfist: Force Recon series
The Clone Empire series

I really have read a lot, but I'm a big fan of Sci-Fi stuff.

I would recommend the Starfist: Force Recon series. It's futuristic, but not to the point where it's ridiculous. The technology and scenarios in the stories are something you can actually see happening in the next decade or two.

-Crenshaw
Crenshaw
Crenshaw
*NwA* Admin
*NwA* Admin

Registration date : 2011-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Nixy23 Tue 19 Feb - 6:21:02

[still..] Reading a Song of Ice and Fire at the moment (the Game of Thrones books, for those who don't even know the official title Razz). It's taking me a bloody long time.

Read some other fantasy series in the past few years, such as Harry Potter and several books from Tolkien surrounding the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

I think I've also read all the books from Dan Brown (author of the Davinci Code). Really nice books you need to keep mind sharp for.

It's all pretty standard reading material I suppose, but I like those kind of books nevertheless.
Nixy23
Nixy23

Registration date : 2011-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by kerrermanisNL Tue 19 Feb - 12:39:11

I'm reading a song of ice and fire as well now. I'm reading the last one so far (there are still a few coming). There are also some books from ASOIAF that are 90 years before the actual story (the hedge knight, the sworn sword, the mystery knight) which I will probaply be reading after this.

I also read "the borgia ring" a while back which was a good read. It was about a detective who's trying to solve a murder and that ring has something to do with it (don't know the whole storey anymore).
kerrermanisNL
kerrermanisNL

Registration date : 2011-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Xazper Tue 19 Feb - 14:50:29

I received the Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy for my birthday yesterday. I've almost finished the first book (of 5 in the compendium) and I love it.

I haven't really read anything in years but I'll be keeping and eye on this thread.
Xazper
Xazper
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Registration date : 2010-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by sugnat Tue 19 Feb - 15:10:49

I've read all of the Song of Ice and Fire books (main series) and there pretty good!

I would recommend the North World Trilogy by David Drake - Futuristic with links to Norse Mythology

And my favorite Author by far is Peter Hamilton - Common Wealth saga is epic and the Void Trilogy is fantastic!
sugnat
sugnat

Registration date : 2010-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Delta Tue 19 Feb - 15:27:27

I've got to say that robert ludlum's bourne books are pretty good, completely different from the films and very gripping, I'm quite a quick reader, usually getting through somewhere between 150-250 pages a night but they took me a fair while to get through because they are so gripping.
Delta
Delta
*NwA* Administrator
*NwA* Administrator

Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Jevski Tue 19 Feb - 17:36:47

Delta you should try Vince Flynn

http://www.vinceflynn.com/

Its also follows a single guy. He reads much like Tom Clancy. Its a bit more brutal than Bourne although.
Jevski
Jevski

Back to top Go down

Post by Delta Tue 19 Feb - 17:42:57

I've read some of the tom clancy ones but could never really get into them, but i'll see if there are any vince flynn books in the library and give them a go cheers jevs :)
Delta
Delta
*NwA* Administrator
*NwA* Administrator

Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by kerrermanisNL Tue 19 Feb - 18:22:58

I prefer Tom Clancy over Ludlum, I read the original Bourne book but I found it really boring, felt like quitting half way through the book. Don't know why really because I was really excited to read it but just wasn't interested in it anymore at that time.

Found Tom Clancy's books very exciting and never read anything like them (were the first books for me that were really getting close to a military experience etc.)
kerrermanisNL
kerrermanisNL

Registration date : 2011-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Jevski Tue 19 Feb - 18:31:02

There is also Larry Bond if you prefer military engagements

http://www.larry-bond.com/
Jevski
Jevski

Back to top Go down

Post by Jevski Tue 19 Feb - 21:52:13

Xazper wrote:I received the Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy for my birthday yesterday. I've almost finished the first book (of 5 in the compendium) and I love it.

I haven't really read anything in years but I'll be keeping and eye on this thread.

Tillykke med dagen ;D

Try this one as a follow up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegal_Aliens_%28novel%29

I read it years ago, and it made me crack up.

Jevski
Jevski

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down