*NwA* Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CPU overheat

5 posters

Go down

CPU overheat Empty CPU overheat

Post by Delta Fri 11 May - 16:41:18

So I realised last night that my CPU has been hitting 95 degrees recently. I know I need to get new thermal paste and a cooler but I don't know whether to go for an air cooler or something like the Antec H2O 620 or the Corsair Hydro H60 ( [url]http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=57&subid=2262&sortby=priceAsc[/url] ) My CPU is an AMD AM2 Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition stock at 2.6Ghz.

Anyone got any helpful ideas?

Edit: oh and my case is an Antec 900 II
Delta
Delta
*NwA* Administrator
*NwA* Administrator

Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

CPU overheat Empty Re: CPU overheat

Post by fillsson Fri 11 May - 16:49:29

Clean the entire inside of your computer with compressed air :)
fillsson
fillsson
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Registration date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Delta Fri 11 May - 16:53:48

already done
Delta
Delta
*NwA* Administrator
*NwA* Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by fillsson Fri 11 May - 16:54:42

Then I have no ideas. Bring on the geeks!!
fillsson
fillsson
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Registration date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullet2Hart Fri 11 May - 18:13:49

If you nudged/knocked/replaced/repaired your processor chip recently and didn't re-apply enough thermal paste or used the old one then you definetly need to get that on the priority list -

2nd have you checked your processor fan is actually up to the required rpm and it is increasing / decreasing depending on core processor power and also checked that it is fully connected and has no twists or sharp turns along the wire?
Also graphics card have their own fan and heat sync (as we all know) make sure your graphics card is not pushing air towards your processor or indeed ejecting the air to a "vortex" inside of your tower meaning air is just circulating inside of it.
Also check your ram sticks are sturdy as vibrations from the fan could losen them and be causing extra heat on the motherboard chip.
Also check your power units fan, to make sure it is working at its full capacity, they can burn out and only spin 1/2 of the rpm they are supposed to which would create heat inside the tower, but the air being blown out would still feel slightly neutral.

If all that has failed you then you simply need a better processing fan.
Bullet2Hart
Bullet2Hart

Registration date : 2011-08-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Delta Fri 11 May - 19:09:14

I need to apply new thermal paste and am planning on doing it asap, but while I'm buying it I am going to replace my CPU cooler as it is the stock one and is pretty crap. I'm just trying to work out which of the two liquid coolers (antec 620 or corsair H60) is better or if I should stick to an air cooler and if so what one?
Delta
Delta
*NwA* Administrator
*NwA* Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Delta Fri 11 May - 20:20:03

Ok so bizarly found that amazon (of all places) is the cheapest. Looking on there I have a choice of:

Antec 620 - £46.98
Corsair H60 - £50.23
Corsair H80 - £68.61
Antec 920 - £70.99

Whichever I buy will be in push/pull config, it just depends on wether it is really worth paying an extra £20. I have looked at reviews and different places say different things. The antec and corsair compare very closely with each other at their relative levels. Anyone with these coolers got any ideas?
Delta
Delta
*NwA* Administrator
*NwA* Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullet2Hart Fri 11 May - 20:39:31

Aslong as its compatable with your motherboard and your power supply can handle it (Remember power supply! graphics cards, processors, fans, speakers, sound card - it all adds up!) just choose an average one if your not planning on going uber space tech anytime soon!
Bullet2Hart
Bullet2Hart

Registration date : 2011-08-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Delta Fri 11 May - 21:27:47

Ordered a Corsair H60, although the Antec 620 outperforms it by 1-2 degrees Corsair seem to be much better in terms of if/when the system breaks and sprays coolant everywhere, plus 5 year warranty compared to 3 years and a nicer design.
Delta
Delta
*NwA* Administrator
*NwA* Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Delta Wed 16 May - 17:39:24

So the last bits arrived today, fitted it (after nipping to PC World for a 3 pin fan splitter) and voila CPU temp down from stock cooler idle at 65-70 degrees at 2.6Ghz to idling around 32-34 degrees at 3.1GHz.
Resulting in one very happy delta lol
Delta
Delta
*NwA* Administrator
*NwA* Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Viglen Wed 16 May - 17:42:11

Hopefully you will have a better KDR next scrim lool
Viglen
Viglen
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Registration date : 2011-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Delta Wed 16 May - 17:43:40

haha, I might have had a s**t KDR but I was still first on the leader board CPU overheat 982148
Delta
Delta
*NwA* Administrator
*NwA* Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by MIDGET Wed 16 May - 17:46:42

glad to hear u got it sorted mate :)

MIDGET

Registration date : 2011-11-08

Back to top Go down