*NwA* Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SSD????

+10
Vincent
MasterG
Jay Scott
speedhound1-WYD-
Orford
kerrermanisNL
ivandobsky
capitan
Nixy23
Naytdawg
14 posters

Go down

SSD???? Empty SSD????

Post by Naytdawg Tue 30 Aug - 12:33:51

If I get one, how do I clone my current C:/ and make the ssd c:/

I'm assuming it goes something like install ssd. It's called X:/ for example. Use a program to clone C:/ copy onto X:/ discconct C:/ rename X:/ connect old and wipe partition?

Can it work like that r do I have to do ANOTHER reinstal?
Naytdawg
Naytdawg
Nayt
Nayt

Registration date : 2010-01-05

Back to top Go down

SSD???? Empty Re: SSD????

Post by Nixy23 Tue 30 Aug - 12:38:55

It's possible to create an image and replace the image on the SSD. However I'd advise to do a fresh install. The reason is because when Windows detects an SSD it sets up some settings differently, regarding to indexing, defragmentation and TRIM etc. Some mobo settings might be altered as well, making the SSD work a lot faster (and live longer) than when an old image has been placed on the SSD.
Nixy23
Nixy23

Registration date : 2011-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Naytdawg Tue 30 Aug - 12:47:54

g*y.
Naytdawg
Naytdawg
Nayt
Nayt

Back to top Go down

Post by capitan Tue 30 Aug - 13:06:49

As far as I know there are only a few settings you need to check/disable. It's possible, but a fresh install is always better!

http://forums.pcper.com/showpost.php?s=5eecdfd1aee5554a43a40f19c86180bb&p=4423702&postcount=2

capitan

Registration date : 2011-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by ivandobsky Tue 30 Aug - 16:51:52

I got 2 SSDs raided (stripe) it is Unbelievably fast at loading PR!
ivandobsky
ivandobsky

Registration date : 2009-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by capitan Tue 30 Aug - 16:58:28

So you get to wait for 3 minutes instead of 2? :D

Im just jealous really

capitan

Back to top Go down

Post by kerrermanisNL Tue 30 Aug - 18:12:36

Just fyi, you don't want to instal windows on your ssd. Because you can only write so many times on an ssd, and windows continually writes and retrieves data from your disk. After a while your ssd will no longer be able to write etc and you will probaply lose all yo sizzle
kerrermanisNL
kerrermanisNL

Registration date : 2011-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Nixy23 Tue 30 Aug - 18:22:16

kerrermanisNL wrote:Just fyi, you don't want to instal windows on your ssd. Because you can only write so many times on an ssd, and windows continually writes and retrieves data from your disk. After a while your ssd will no longer be able to write etc and you will probaply lose all yo sizzle

That's a wholly wrong assumption you make there.

It is true that SSD's have a limited amount of write cycles, however it will take an 'average user' (average being written 25GB a DAY!, which is no where NEAR bloody average, you might do a couple hundred MB's a day) approximately 7 years to reach the end of the possible write cycles.

Also, should the SSD reach that limit of write cycles, all the data currently on the disk will not be erased. There will just be no more new data written to it.
Nixy23
Nixy23

Back to top Go down

Post by Orford Tue 30 Aug - 18:25:02

No mate not true at all.
Dam Nixy Ninjad me.

Windows write indexing is turned off and so is disk defrag as standard when windows detects its being installed on a SSD. Also windows if it dose need to cache some thing, which with a SSD I doubt very much, it uses TRIM a small 100meg secert partition it uses as cache memory to save fookin up the DATA partition on the SSD.

The OS is the first thing you would put on a SSD you dont pay £200 for a SSD drive with out being able to put a OS on it wtf would you buy one other wise.

Ive had a 80gb intel x SSD for over 18 months now and it still fliys. With my clocked to 3.8mhz i5 its not 2 mins to load the next map of PR its 20 seconds mate. I load in before the server has started the count down for the next round.

Also only have the SSD plugged in no other drives as windows dosnt detect the SSD right with a standard HDD plugged in as well. Windows uses the second drive to unpack the install files to make the install faster. If the second drive is a standard HDD this not needed and will not turn TRIM on and other features as windows thinks its going onto a standard HDD.

Last edited by Orford on Tue 30 Aug - 18:28:47; edited 1 time in total

Orford
Orford
Orford

Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Nixy23 Tue 30 Aug - 18:27:32

That's what he meant Orford. You can wait the full 3 minutes of Briefing, instead of 2 Razz
Nixy23
Nixy23

Back to top Go down

Post by capitan Tue 30 Aug - 18:30:59

Nixy is right, the average user will be fine. There is almost no point getting an SSD if you aren't putting your OS on it...

capitan

Back to top Go down

Post by Orford Tue 30 Aug - 18:32:06

@Nixy; lol word that I thought he ment load time.

My PC boots fresh install of windows in 12 seconds. Once I have all my programs on and set the way I want it to with the programs running that i want to use like xfire, TS3, steam etc etc boot time to a fully working ready to use desktop is 17 seconds. No little spinny thing telling s**t is still loading, I mean ready to use.

Nayt just back up you game profiles and put them in a folder on your currant C: drive in the root. Then install the SSD, then plug in the old HDD got to root and copy paste the folder with all ya stuff in it. Install ya games then over write the profile folder with your old backup ones.

Then do a format of you old drive.

Orford
Orford
Orford

Back to top Go down

Post by kerrermanisNL Tue 30 Aug - 19:41:00

Lol looks like I made a fool of myself. Funny though, because I actually am buying a SSD aswell, and after doing some research I found that indeed the OS should be installed etc.
Then a friend of mine said you shouldnt because of it writing all the time (he had a friend who ruined his ssd after a year or so).. Guess I should have followed myself after all Razz
kerrermanisNL
kerrermanisNL

Back to top Go down

Post by Naytdawg Tue 30 Aug - 22:03:09

I got a prog called game save manager, it backups everything, games, gamer profiles, etc

The main greif I get is re linking registys and stuff I don't have most progs on my C:/ I have them on another much bigger partition...

I dunno, we'll see :(
Naytdawg
Naytdawg
Nayt
Nayt

Back to top Go down

Post by capitan Tue 30 Aug - 22:10:45

Make a backup to external, make a recovery disk. Swap the drives, format the SSD and restore the backup. The worst that can happen is that it doesnt work and you just plug your old drive back in til you can find a way?

capitan

Back to top Go down

Post by speedhound1-WYD- Wed 31 Aug - 1:56:36

if only all problems came in this flavour................

my hard drive is steam powered......

speedhound1-WYD-

Registration date : 2010-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Nixy23 Wed 31 Aug - 7:10:53

By that you mean your saves are on the steam cloud? Razz
Nixy23
Nixy23

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Scott Wed 31 Aug - 13:30:11

Well it takes me about 15 minutes to get loaded and in game.

:lol!:
Jay Scott
Jay Scott

Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by ivandobsky Wed 31 Aug - 13:56:24

You need a new PC Jay Wink
ivandobsky
ivandobsky

Back to top Go down

Post by MasterG Wed 31 Aug - 16:48:15

What the hell is SSD? No, I'm not gonna google it.. hehe
MasterG
MasterG
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Registration date : 2010-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Vincent Wed 31 Aug - 16:55:21

is the little brother of the HDD

Vincent
*NwA* Administrator
*NwA* Administrator

Registration date : 2010-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by MasterG Wed 31 Aug - 16:59:40

Say what? scratch
MasterG
MasterG
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Orford Wed 31 Aug - 17:04:11

Solid State Harddrive. Use`s a type of RAM instead of spinning disk platters. Like what you get in a Ipad etc

Orford
Orford
Orford

Back to top Go down

Post by MasterG Wed 31 Aug - 17:38:46

Eeehm, okay... hehe
MasterG
MasterG
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Nixy23 Wed 31 Aug - 18:10:39

Solid State Drive, eh.. not Harddisk.. since it's not a disk Razz
Nixy23
Nixy23

Back to top Go down

Post by Orford Wed 31 Aug - 19:02:54

thats why I called it a harddrive not a hard disk..............

still put the hard in so not to confuse with a DVD type drive as it has no removable media hence the hard part.

Orford
Orford
Orford

Back to top Go down

Post by Naytdawg Wed 31 Aug - 19:46:08

Well I'm sticking with my standard hdd's I'll get a SSD when I upgrade again in a few years
Naytdawg
Naytdawg
Nayt
Nayt

Back to top Go down

Post by deadly22sniper Wed 31 Aug - 22:27:05

Think of it as a ginormous SD card (like you have in a camera). :D
deadly22sniper
deadly22sniper
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Registration date : 2008-11-30

Back to top Go down

Post by ivandobsky Wed 31 Aug - 22:32:12

^^ Dinosaur [Naytusdeplodicus]

Mind you, you CAN have too much of a good thing - like Kop with his 16Gb of RAM for example - or me with an fps of 98 on a 60Hz monitor! :D
ivandobsky
ivandobsky

Back to top Go down

Post by Nixy23 Thu 1 Sep - 5:47:24

Nothing wrong with 16GB of RAM. Sure, for gaming it's overkill, but if you like fiddling with photoshop of editing video it's a godsend. Not to mention making a RAMDisk can be a lot of fun too.
Nixy23
Nixy23

Back to top Go down

Post by Naytdawg Thu 1 Sep - 8:16:26

I'd load up on ram but I'll loose my overclocks :(

Unless someone can talk me through OCing it with more ram installed
Naytdawg
Naytdawg
Nayt
Nayt

Back to top Go down

Post by Nixy23 Thu 1 Sep - 9:39:28

Why wouldn't you be able to overclock with more ram installed? It depends on the amount of MHz.

Edit: When I'm home I'll look some things up, but the amount of RAM doesn't have any impact on your overclock. The thing is that using more sticks leads to more uncertainties and incompatibilities. 4 Stick of RAM have more chance of not fluently working together than 2 sticks of RAM have. The amount per stick doesn't matter..

The MHz's is what will determine your max overclock. Since you overclock your memory controller when you boost the CPU speed, it will automatically make the RAM sticks run at a certain speed. If your RAM can't handle that speed (because you're running 800MHz rated RAM with a CPU that runs it at 1200MHz, for example) , s**t goes wrong Razz

Last edited by Nixy23 on Thu 1 Sep - 13:00:43; edited 1 time in total
Nixy23
Nixy23

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Scott Thu 1 Sep - 12:53:33

Hopefully have a new one the weekend Dob's =D

Finger's 'n' Toes Crossed!

xD
Jay Scott
Jay Scott

Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Naytdawg Thu 1 Sep - 13:40:52

I got my rigs guys from over clockers, 6th ram, 4.something from a 2.7 i7ad questioned them about more ram they couldn't guarantee a solid oc I'm very in trusting when it comes to computers, maybe I'll parcel force it up to orf with a bag of money :)
Naytdawg
Naytdawg
Nayt
Nayt

Back to top Go down

Post by Zer0 Thu 1 Sep - 16:39:02

speedhound1-WYD- wrote:if only all problems came in this flavour................

my hard drive is steam powered......
SSD???? 757254 speed
Zer0
Zer0
*NwA* Admin
*NwA* Admin

Registration date : 2010-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Orford Thu 1 Sep - 18:56:47

seriously i give up.

Voltage determins max overclock.

I can get my i5 to 3.5ghz using FSB and clock multiplyer. Not until I up the voltage can I get it to 4ghz.

Also modern mother boards dont tie CPU voltage to RAM voltage or even FSB clocks. RAM is treated totaly seperate. With my CPU running at 4ghz on 1.35 volt my RAM stays stock at 1333mhz. I then clocked my RAM add more volts to it and got it running at 1800mhz I had to slacken the timing slightly though.

Also added a a closed water cooling loop to keep the temps down as more volts = A s**t load more heat.

ALso I am free to overclock the PCI-e slots and overvolt them also from the stock 100mhz speed but that will f*k things up and I aint into benchmarking for the sake of melting 1000`s of pounds worth of kit.

i5 runing a 4ghz and some coresair dominator xms3 at 1800mhz Im happy!!

Orford
Orford
Orford

Back to top Go down

Post by Naytdawg Thu 1 Sep - 19:13:17

See orf, I havnt got a clue what you said lol, it's why I bought a bundle
Naytdawg
Naytdawg
Nayt
Nayt

Back to top Go down

Post by Nixy23 Thu 1 Sep - 19:46:05

You own an i5-2500k Sandybridge then, Orf? I know they changed the way the BLCK works there compared to Nehalem generation processors due to the unlocked multipliers.. In that case, yes, you are right about the Separate RAM speeds. I never gave Sandybridge much thought, seeing as it's just upping the voltage and multiplier.. Nehalem and older generations at least required some thinking.

As for you Nayt, don't worry about it. Adding extra RAM won't hurt your overclocking potential, like I said before.
Nixy23
Nixy23

Back to top Go down

Post by Orford Thu 1 Sep - 19:56:44

Not the new version the older one.

Some mobos wont overclock with all 4 ram slots full. you`ll need to check.

Orford
Orford
Orford

Back to top Go down

Post by Orford Fri 2 Sep - 14:54:26

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-233-SE

found this and thought of you.

Not bad for £85.

Check out the video.

Orford
Orford
Orford

Back to top Go down

Post by speedhound1-WYD- Fri 2 Sep - 15:19:17

might i add,

if you 'slacken' your timing your valves will sooner or later hit your pistons not to mention the added wear and tear in the timing drive train, also you would have to adjust your ignition timing to compensate for the new opening, dwell and exhaust timing in relation to crankshaft position.

simply, why would you do that ?

things were so much easier when the world was made out of metal...sigh....:(

speedhound1-WYD-

Registration date : 2010-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Xazper Fri 2 Sep - 16:46:16

I've also considered buying a SSD. I hear Arma 2 should run a lot better on one and in general loading times should be improved (nothing worse than modding a game and have to wait a few minutes between change and feedback) Which one would you guys recommend? It'll be almost exclusively for demanding games like Arma 2 and PR, maybe Microsoft FS-X. For everything else I have a 1TB 7200rpm 64MB cache (If the WD that came in the mail today works.. the 3 seagate ones didn't in my rig.)
Xazper
Xazper
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Registration date : 2010-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Nixy23 Fri 2 Sep - 16:54:27

Depends on your budget, mate. There's a large variety of SSD's of different brands and different specs.

A general all-rounder would be the Crucial M4 128GB one. With the new 0009 firmware they appear to be really fast for a modest price (~165 euros).
Nixy23
Nixy23

Back to top Go down

Post by Xazper Fri 2 Sep - 17:37:50

Damn, that's a bit more expensive than I thought.. then again it's probably worth it regardles.
Xazper
Xazper
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Registration date : 2010-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by kerrermanisNL Fri 2 Sep - 18:23:57

I can get a vertex 2 ssd (ocz, currently leading the ssd market... -i believe-) 60gb for a little bit under 75 euro's. These have a very fast transfer rate (sandy bridge if I'm not mistaken) . I don't know the transfer rate (at work, so too lazy to look it up). Mind you there is a vertex 3 which is even faster, but you'll have to have a sata-600 connection on your mobo
kerrermanisNL
kerrermanisNL

Back to top Go down

Post by Nixy23 Fri 2 Sep - 18:56:11

Vertex 2 is way inferior to the M4. The M4 is pressed very snugly up against the Vertex 3, performance wise.
Nixy23
Nixy23

Back to top Go down

Post by bJN.uk Fri 2 Sep - 19:00:25

kerrermanisNL wrote:I can get a vertex 2 ssd (ocz, currently leading the ssd market... -i believe-) 60gb for a little bit under 75 euro's. These have a very fast transfer rate (sandy bridge if I'm not mistaken) . I don't know the transfer rate (at work, so too lazy to look it up). Mind you there is a vertex 3 which is even faster, but you'll have to have a sata-600 connection on your mobo

Just to steer you in the right direction, Sandy Bridge is a CPU architecture and has no bearing whatsoever on storage device transfer speeds.

If you want maximum speed you need to be looking at the SSDs with SATA-III, which means you get 6Gb/s transfer speed through the technology; but be aware that does not mean you actually get 6Gb/s when copying and moving files. The devices themselves are what's holding back the speeds, but most will still have blistering speeds in comparison the mechanical drives.

Personally I have a Crucial C300 64GB SATA III drive, and I haven't encountered any slow-down with that yet.

Also just a note, do not get confused by what SATA version it is.

Some will say SATA6 and some say SATA3. Just be careful what they actually are. Read the specs of each one, SATA-II is the old tech, SATA-III is the new shiny tech that's awesome peace
bJN.uk
bJN.uk
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Registration date : 2010-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by kerrermanisNL Fri 2 Sep - 19:52:03

I know that, I'm not a noob Razz I genuinly thought it was something with sand though,i knew it was for processors but just put it in anyway. And vertex 3 was definitely sata 6 Wink .. I could have put more accurate info in there if I wasnt at work, I did that out of my head, do thats why its qorcky Razz

Btw, I'm doing a it education that covers every basic aspect, so that's why I'm not a noob.. I don't want to sound like a posh prick though Razz
kerrermanisNL
kerrermanisNL

Back to top Go down

Post by Nixy23 Fri 2 Sep - 19:59:32

You might be confused with the new Z68 chipset for Sandybridge, that is able to use an SSD as a cache for your regular Harddisk, to speed things up?

Also, it's either SATA3 or SATA600 ..
Nixy23
Nixy23

Back to top Go down

Post by kerrermanisNL Fri 2 Sep - 21:37:10

hahah, yeah i know, i'm sorry :D As I say for the third time, I had to hurry up since my work is working a cd-store. Customers were coming so i had little time Razz

Anyhoo, from now on I'll keep strict! Razz
http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/278806/ocz-vertex-3-120gb.html#tab:info
As you can see there (in dutch Razz) the connection is sata 600 :)
kerrermanisNL
kerrermanisNL

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum