*NwA* Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice on First Build

+2
Delta
sm4rtiez
6 posters

Go down

Advice on First Build Empty Advice on First Build

Post by sm4rtiez Sat 28 Sep - 3:21:03

I'm in the process of planning my first computer build and was hoping to get y'alls advice.
I've found a pretty good bundle on Tiger Direct to get started with

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8237605&csid=_61

For a video card I'm going with the MSI GeForce GTX 760

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8297773&CatId=7387

My main concern right now is the reviews for the PSU included in the bundle aren't that great but I figure if it's not working out I'll just pick up a better one since the bundle it's included in seems pretty cheap.

I plan on also picking up a second stick of RAM and possibly a Case Fan.

I've talked to Exe and he's given me a good amount of help but I want to try and get a wide range of assistance so I'm not just pissing out money.

sm4rtiez
*NwA* Admin
*NwA* Admin

Registration date : 2011-11-14

Back to top Go down

Advice on First Build Empty Re: Advice on First Build

Post by Delta Sat 28 Sep - 7:51:54

hmm, I've never heard of that power supply make before, other than that it looks good.  Have you checked out ncix.com as well?  They do a fair amount of stuff as well, not sure what the price difference is though.

I'm assuming by looking at your bundle price and the GPU price that you are looking somewhere around $800 - $1000?

Also 2 ways to potentially save money, A new range of AMD GPU's have just been announced and start shipping soon, this means that on top of the fact they are generally cheaper, all of the 79XX series (7950 and 7970) will soon be pretty cheap so might be worth holding out for a few months for that.  Secondly you could go with an ivy bridge (i5 3570K and a z77 mobo - asus sabertooth or msi gaming one) CPU/Mobo rather than haswell, there really isn't much/if any performance gain, its just lower volts and slightly lower temps.

Also do you really need a dvd burner?   I install 99% of my stuff through steam/origin, and windows with a USB stick.
Delta
Delta
*NwA* Administrator
*NwA* Administrator

Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Orford Sat 28 Sep - 9:21:43

Buy what the best you can afford now otherwise you will never upgrade as new stuff is announced all the time.

The PSU looks like a cheap nasty one that would be included in the case. As long as you don't add any other componants and change it as soon as you can you will be ok.
That board and CPU will overclock great with a good air cooler, again add on later.

Buy it, good price, good spec.

Orford
Orford
Orford

Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by sm4rtiez Sat 28 Sep - 16:54:59

I'm going to order the parts online and then head over to one of the retailers and pick up a better PSU next month. I don't think I'll be over-clocking anytime soon so I hope I'll be okay.

Finally hope to get more than 15 blood FPS in War Thunder/everyothergameIownbecausethismachineIcurrentlyownisasalesmanstrap

sm4rtiez
*NwA* Admin
*NwA* Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MIDGET Sun 29 Sep - 9:11:10

if u can afford to get this here mate with ya i5 you will be in good sted for a long while

MIDGET

Registration date : 2011-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Crenshaw Mon 30 Sep - 3:34:21

If you want my advice on that, I'd stay keep the DvD burner.  Not only is it faster than an online download, you never know when you'll want to burn a CD/DVD or, in the off-chance, use your computer's on-board Recovery Disk Management systems to make disks.  Not everyone has a 16GB thumbdrive laying around.  I suppose the same could be said about DVDs...

Anyway, NCIX is good stuff.  I ordered my case and memory from there just last week.  Still waiting for it to ship in though.

Smartiez, do you know about http://www.pcpartpicker.com?  If not, I'd HIGHLY recommend checking that out.  You basically start by choosing a case that fits your desire, and then I believe by default Compatibility mode is turned on, so you choose a motherboard which the site automatically filters out to fit your case, and then go from there.  Processors, GPUs (Or APUs if you so desire it), Coolers, Power Supplies, etc.  It picks the LOWEST price for that part on the market currently and where to get it (Amazon, Newegg, NCIX, etc along with options to choose a different retailer if available at a more expensive price) and you can basically just pick and choose anything you want and at the end it'll tell you a generalized power usage in Watts, which would help you choose a PSU if your isn't good enough AND of course the cost.  It allows you to see if any parts have "combo deals" which generally lower the price and of course if there's any rebates.  It really is a godsend.  Of course, with anything, you'll have to know the general sizes of your parts in comparison to the motherboard so you don't end up getting stuff that might cover slots.  I got an ATI Radeon Sapphire 7950, one of them huge GPU messes with 3GB of V-RAM on them and it ends up covering BOTH of my PCI-E 2.0 slots, so my wireless card I got is going to collect dust unless I can fit it in the bottom PCI-E slot.  Other than that, the site is wonderful.

If you're going to build your own PC, you may as well at least use that site and see what you can get for your price range.  Example, I got a 3.5GHz 6-core AMD Black processor and I believe it was only 80-some USD.  Which, given conversion rates is probably a tad less in Canadian currency.  You can actually build pretty powerful pieces for good money if you know how to look for things yourself.  Generally pre-built or pre-arranged stuff is a bit more.  My entire build which has 8GB of memory to start, a 3TB HDD, a 3GB ATI Radeon Sapphire 7950, 6-core 3.5GHz processor, a case, MB, 600W PSU, DVD Drive, External cooler and a WIFI card turned out to be about ~1100$.  The PC I bought from HP 4 years ago which is a slim, it was prebuilt and well, in computer age compared to this one, Cave-Painting old cost me 850$.  This one is probably the tenth degree more power than it for only 250$ more.

The one you showed however isn't bad at all, and it certainly looks nice.

Word of advice however:  If you choose to go to that site and build your own piece and you choose a 3TB HDD, due to the infinite wisdom of the people who designed the first computers, there's a limitation with anything above 2.1TB.  They believed when they coded the first PCs that it was unfathomable to come close to anything even near 1TB of space on a drive, much less 2.1TB, so they chose 2.1TB as their architecture limitation, something that hasn't exactly been overcome today.  So in order to use a 3+TB HDD, you'll have to partition it out so that the individual logical drive capacities are under 2.1TB.  That's not difficult at all in modern day Windows OS as they have built-in Partitioning software.

-Crenshaw
Crenshaw
Crenshaw
*NwA* Admin
*NwA* Admin

Registration date : 2011-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Viglen Mon 30 Sep - 4:13:03

Advice on First Build Amstrad_PPC512_open
Viglen
Viglen
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Registration date : 2011-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Crenshaw Mon 30 Sep - 4:38:06

You know how to party lol

-Crenshaw
Crenshaw
Crenshaw
*NwA* Admin
*NwA* Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sm4rtiez Wed 2 Oct - 12:07:01

Thanks for the info Cren. 

I've got the parts ordered and (most) are being shipped as we speak :D
Which means I should have it set up by Saturday evening (Canadian evening). The only downside is that the DVD drive was sent to a drop-shipper and I have no idea what it's shipping status is.

sm4rtiez
*NwA* Admin
*NwA* Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crenshaw Wed 2 Oct - 13:13:34

Nice. Lets get some pics of that thing assembled.

-Crenshaw
Crenshaw
Crenshaw
*NwA* Admin
*NwA* Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sm4rtiez Wed 2 Oct - 18:00:42

Can't wait to get criticized on my cable management.

sm4rtiez
*NwA* Admin
*NwA* Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crenshaw Wed 2 Oct - 18:24:54

Mine was a straight mess. Luckily my case had a removable raised back to place the cords through. In the PC cavity, its fine. But behind where the cables are... whoa...

-Crenshaw
Crenshaw
Crenshaw
*NwA* Admin
*NwA* Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sm4rtiez Sat 5 Oct - 14:26:40

MAHA! It lives!

sm4rtiez
*NwA* Admin