*NwA* Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Overclocking, serious replys only please

+7
Orford
mickw1
MIDGET
TheShaydeeOne
Voodoo
Snippers
Naytdawg
11 posters

Go down

Overclocking, serious replys only please Empty Overclocking, serious replys only please

Post by Naytdawg Sat 17 Mar - 13:39:22

Right ive got..

Krypton Intel Core i7 960 3.20GHz @ 4.00GHz Overclocked Bundle
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 Motherboard
Akasa AK-CCX-4002HP Venom CPU Cooler (Socket LGA775/LGA1155/LGA1156/LGA1366/AM2/AM3)
Antec CP 1000W Modular Power Supply

i dont know what ram i have, other than 3 x 2Gb but i dont know which one as they dont make the bundle, and rather than take off the case, cos i CBA hopefully somone can work out what it is from the picture attached.
basicly i want to add more ram, maybe double it to another 3 x 2gb kit = 12gb total, or NEW ram compleatly, i honestly dont know yet

Overclockers say its not possible i will loose my 4ghz overclock. so... what can i do??? is there anyone who knows EXCATLY what there talking about and can offer advice and maybe even i courier the pc to you and you do it for me if it comes to it.

Overclocking, serious replys only please Cpuz10

AND

the rig has "clicked off" a few times, i took it apart, de dusted, re pasted the cpu/cooler, all my temps are decent, good clean air flow, the only thing is i have everything running off of the hard wired psu wires, not the extra ones that come with it and plug in if that makes sense.
graphics card, mobo, one cpu fan, 6 case fans running of molex plugs all joined together 3 hdd's and 2 dvds, is that right or should i use the "extra" cables??

Naytdawg
Naytdawg
Nayt
Nayt

Registration date : 2010-01-05

Back to top Go down

Overclocking, serious replys only please Empty Re: Overclocking, serious replys only please

Post by Snippers Sat 17 Mar - 14:07:16

Yep the ram part number is displayed there it is "CMX6GX3M3A1600C9" If you google this you will hit the jackpot.
Here is a website with that same ram:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMX6GX3M3A1600C9-XMS3-SDRAM-Memory/dp/B002LZ1FPG
Regarding the clocks no clue, not my area.

Snippers

Registration date : 2009-09-13

Back to top Go down

Overclocking, serious replys only please Empty Re: Overclocking, serious replys only please

Post by Voodoo Sat 17 Mar - 14:35:27

You could downclock your RAM if you upgrade it, it's a bit s**t how the older gen of i7 run tri-channel instead of double.

Hmm. I'm stumped mate.. only thing I can suggest is ask the true guru's of everything nerdy at - Overclock.net
Voodoo
Voodoo
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Registration date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by TheShaydeeOne Sat 17 Mar - 14:44:34

Voodoo wrote:You could downclock your RAM if you upgrade it, it's a bit s**t how the older gen of i7 run tri-channel instead of double.

Hmm. I'm stumped mate.. only thing I can suggest is ask the true guru's of everything nerdy at - Overclock.net

With Voodoo on the latter there, the guys at overclock definitely know their stuff.
TheShaydeeOne
TheShaydeeOne
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Registration date : 2011-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post by MIDGET Sat 17 Mar - 15:28:12

hey buddy from overclocking i have done i cannot see how changing ur ram would affect ur prosessor as its 2 totally different areas and has no link to eatch other in your bios settings.

how many ram expantion slots do u have ? if you have free slots i would just buy the same cards as are allready in ur pc and add them in series and ur computer will do the rest and at that price snippers found for you i would defo do it :)

Last edited by MIDGET on Sat 17 Mar - 15:37:06; edited 1 time in total

MIDGET

Registration date : 2011-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Naytdawg Sat 17 Mar - 15:36:19

I have 6 slots in total, 3 white 3 blue does that make a diff?
Naytdawg
Naytdawg
Nayt
Nayt

Back to top Go down

Post by MIDGET Sat 17 Mar - 15:39:08

not at all mate there just different take it blue are closest to prosessor?

Overclocking, serious replys only please 23li349

Overclocking, serious replys only please Fe2lpd

as you can see from my old motherboard they are black and blue in alternating patten

if i were u mate i would spend the £30 odd pound on the extra 6gb and upgrade as after that u wont need to do anything to ur ram for a Long time

Last edited by MIDGET on Sat 17 Mar - 17:07:04; edited 1 time in total

MIDGET

Back to top Go down

Post by Naytdawg Sat 17 Mar - 16:03:03

Yeah they alternate white blue white blue white blue or visa versa,

If I'm honest I'm waiting for NASA orford to reply then I might just go and get the ram see what happens,

In a bios, when you adjust the multiplier and core value tats just CPU, nothing ram related right?
Naytdawg
Naytdawg
Nayt
Nayt

Back to top Go down

Post by Voodoo Sat 17 Mar - 16:40:34

Well, I can't remember specificially, but the higher your RAM timings with the amount of GB can feck up the CPU's overclock.
Voodoo
Voodoo
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by MIDGET Sat 17 Mar - 16:41:54

Naytdawg wrote:,

In a bios, when you adjust the multiplier and core value tats just CPU, nothing ram related right?

yea thats right mate cpu some older bios systems are coupled with your ram so if you hightened your multiplyer your ram clock speed would move slightly to but on all new bios i have seen you could check if you want to do this or not. not seen one do both for about 5 years now and that motherbourd was one i pulled out my shed coz i was sick of ma daughter playing sims on my pc so just fiddled with an old one overclocked it to 1.3 ghz lol but the newer ram could cope with the higher speeds so caused no issuues whatsoever

MIDGET

Back to top Go down

Post by MIDGET Sat 17 Mar - 17:04:51

looking deeper into it mate ur ram is slightly underclocked so wont make any difference whatsoever aslong as ur ram is the same or same spec atleast there will be no issues

MIDGET

Back to top Go down

Post by mickw1 Sat 17 Mar - 17:08:16

Yep MIDGET is right if you get the same ram (CMX6GX3M3A1600C9) it should NOT effect your overclocked cpu at all.

it's best to get the same ram so you don't get compatibility issues with your current ram
mickw1
mickw1
*NwA* Administrator
*NwA* Administrator

Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Naytdawg Sat 17 Mar - 17:28:02

Ok so by the ram, wack it in.

Ive Read about timings?? 9-9-9-24/28/29??? What's that??
Naytdawg
Naytdawg
Nayt
Nayt

Back to top Go down

Post by Orford Sat 17 Mar - 18:55:18

Dont put any more ram in there, you will loose your overclock, glad you waited for me mate.

the blue and black ram slots are marked for a reason. Alot of motherboards have s**t RAM voltage controlers and the volt drop on the ram channels when using both channels (blue and black) is shocking. It will make your ram very unstable and your mobo with have a s**t fit when you try it.

The lads at overclockers.co.uk spend hours testing each mobo and ram combination. They sell there bundle with a full warranty. Why do they do this, cos they have tested the setup and found the right CPU/RAM/mobo combination.

Id personally would listen to them, if they say adding RAM will f*k your over clock id listen to them. THey put there name to a full warranty and a 4ghz overclock.

The voltage will be locked on the mobo, so yes overclocking shouldnt effect the RAM volts. Passing the volts across 2 sets of RAM slots will esp with tri-channel ram. The newer CPU and mobos only being dual channel handle the volts better.

RAM is so cheap atm just by a 12gb pack, then ebay or bin the old stuff.

f*k buy the new stuff put it in your mobo spare black slots. Then when your mobo fuks up and your PC becomes as stable as a 80 year old on a half set jelly you can come back and say. I TOLD YOU ORFORD WAS THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The tighter the timing the faster the RAM. (lower the numbers) most of the time you have to slacken the timinmgs and up the volts a little when you go into extreme overclocking as the RAM cannot cope.

Go straight to 12gb using only one set of slots, this should keep the OC stable.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-110-KS

Orford
Orford
Orford

Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Orford Sat 17 Mar - 19:05:06

Naytdawg wrote:Right ive got..

Krypton Intel Core i7 960 3.20GHz @ 4.00GHz Overclocked Bundle
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 Motherboard
Akasa AK-CCX-4002HP Venom CPU Cooler (Socket LGA775/LGA1155/LGA1156/LGA1366/AM2/AM3)
Antec CP 1000W Modular Power Supply

i dont know what ram i have, other than 3 x 2Gb but i dont know which one as they dont make the bundle, and rather than take off the case, cos i CBA hopefully somone can work out what it is from the picture attached.
basicly i want to add more ram, maybe double it to another 3 x 2gb kit = 12gb total, or NEW ram compleatly, i honestly dont know yet

Overclockers say its not possible i will loose my 4ghz overclock. so... what can i do??? is there anyone who knows EXCATLY what there talking about and can offer advice and maybe even i courier the pc to you and you do it for me if it comes to it.

Overclocking, serious replys only please Cpuz10

AND

the rig has "clicked off" a few times, i took it apart, de dusted, re pasted the cpu/cooler, all my temps are decent, good clean air flow, the only thing is i have everything running off of the hard wired psu wires, not the extra ones that come with it and plug in if that makes sense.
graphics card, mobo, one cpu fan, 6 case fans running of molex plugs all joined together 3 hdd's and 2 dvds, is that right or should i use the "extra" cables??

Is that in red meant as, its not possible, I will loose my overclock. or its not possible too loose your overcl;ock.

I would of thouygh and im sure with a tri channel over clock the 2nd set of ram slots will f*k up the voltage to the slots.

Orford
Orford
Orford

Back to top Go down

Post by Naytdawg Sat 17 Mar - 20:39:45

So orford.

to confirm... if i get a 12gb kit 3 x 4gb and install it. in place of my 3 x 2gb kit

it WILL NOT effect my overclock, and i wont need to change anything in my bios??

edit: i had some issues, and ended up loosing the overclock, however i had written down every setting previously so just changed it all back and saved it to bios, so i might contact OCUK first, go through all the bios settings make sure there up to scratch before i change any ram, not that i'll tell them that

Naytdawg
Naytdawg
Nayt
Nayt

Back to top Go down

Post by Orford Sat 17 Mar - 23:34:18

Buy the extra, put it in as well in the other 3 slots. If it doesnt work take the 6gb out and put the 12gb in. The size of the ram in the 3 slots dont matter. Its just whether the mobo can supply smooth volts to all 6 slots at the same time. Your talking +/- 0.025 volts at a time.

You should have a profile in the bios for the ocuk overclock. If not ring them and they will sort you out and confirm or advise you to how much that mobo can handle with all 6 slots full.

Orford
Orford
Orford

Back to top Go down

Post by MIDGET Sun 18 Mar - 0:21:10

think i stand corrected then lol sorry nate

MIDGET

Back to top Go down

Post by Viglen Sun 18 Mar - 17:35:54

AMD fanboy sorry i cant help :D
Viglen
Viglen
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Registration date : 2011-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Voodoo Sun 18 Mar - 17:59:33

Viglen wrote:AMD dickhead who wasted his money sorry i cant help myself being so stupid as to buy AMD :D

Amended that for ya' Viggy. Wink
Voodoo
Voodoo
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Naytdawg Sun 18 Mar - 18:15:11

Ok then, Tomorrow(anniversary, no chance) Tuesday, i will phone overclockers and sort my bios out, through power outages i have lost my OCUK saved overclock profile, so need that sorted first.

Then i'll work out what ram im going to install/use :
A: 12gb kit of new ram ONLY
B: A matched (to my current) 6gb kit and run all 6 slots.... HOW DO I KNOW IF THEY WORK CORRECTLY?
C: Leave it the F alone

sorry to tripple post orf, but im a tad scared of making it go boom.
Naytdawg
Naytdawg
Nayt
Nayt

Back to top Go down

Post by Voodoo Sun 18 Mar - 19:42:28

Leave it Alone? Hah, that's simply not the Computer Gamer's way, Nayt! If it's broken, fix it, if it's not broken.. Improve it!

Personally, If you purchase the same RAM as you already have, since your doubling your RAM, the only thing that may affect you like me and orford said, is the Voltage. Orford evidently knows more, but from my own experience and from browsing OC.net, More Ram = Lower Clock of the CPU. Something about Voltage/Timings some s**t. I'm not going to bullshit my way through on that field Razz I wouldn't buy totally new RAM, that just seems a waste to me, and leaving it the F alone just isn't my way, so that only leaves B.. but that's me, you might have different reasonings to me bud.
Voodoo
Voodoo
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Orford Sun 18 Mar - 22:36:45

Matched only matters for working in the same colourd slots. Better to buy same brand and size if filling all 6 but you may not get a high over clock.

12gb new on its own would give you the best chance at a stable OC as it only using 3 slot, so less chance of voltage issues.

If you go for 6+6 it would be cheaper but may be unstable keeping the same Over clock. slightly less over clock but with 12gb of RAM all 6 slots filled will give good usable results.

IMHO I would go for 12gb new RAM in 3 slots keeping the same overclock settings, then sell on the 6gb once the price of ram goes up in a month or so. That should cover the cost.

First thing first speak to OCuk and they will be able to tell you for sure how the mobo would cope with 3 or 6 slots filled.

Orford
Orford
Orford

Back to top Go down

Post by Naytdawg Mon 19 Mar - 2:07:57

Sound.
Naytdawg
Naytdawg
Nayt
Nayt

Back to top Go down

Post by Daze Mon 19 Mar - 19:10:46

Overclocking, serious replys only please Testsy

running on the stock cooler, wait till i get my watercooling Razz
Daze
Daze
*NwA* Administrator
*NwA* Administrator

Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Naytdawg Tue 20 Mar - 12:46:23

Spoke to OC they emailed the bios setting for my OC, gonna hit that up then order the 12gb kit, cheers ya'll

watercooling next, maybe..
Naytdawg
Naytdawg
Nayt
Nayt

Back to top Go down

Post by MIDGET Tue 20 Mar - 15:35:19

thumbsup

MIDGET

Back to top Go down

Post by Orford Tue 20 Mar - 23:23:55

Awesome.

Was I right in saying filling all six slots would lead to an unstable overclock. Did they confirm my assessment.

Once your wet you'll never go back. Try to get hold of kenny, he is the water cooling king. He should still be contactable via email from this forum.

Orford
Orford
Orford

Back to top Go down

Post by Naytdawg Wed 21 Mar - 7:02:15

Yeah use 3 not 6 slots,

Just get a ram kit, see what it says on the box for timings, adjust accordingly and boom your away!

Naytdawg
Naytdawg
Nayt
Nayt

Back to top Go down

Post by Orford Wed 21 Mar - 11:37:18

I thanks you.

Orford
Orford
Orford

Back to top Go down

Post by Naytdawg Wed 21 Mar - 11:38:47

smartass
Naytdawg
Naytdawg
Nayt
Nayt

Back to top Go down

Post by Orford Wed 21 Mar - 18:59:48

Overclocking, serious replys only please 548156 Overclocking, serious replys only please 85369 Overclocking, serious replys only please 84414 Overclocking, serious replys only please 493532

Orford
Orford
Orford

Back to top Go down

Post by Naytdawg Wed 21 Mar - 19:31:12

So let's talk water cooling, how do I stop the water coming out of the fans at the front? I can seal up screw holes, and even the seams but blocking fan ports will kill the air flow??!...

Oh wait it's watercooled!! Duh!

So, gaffa tape the seams, drill a hole in top of case and pour.

What kind of fishes to have?

Overclocking, serious replys only please 1257893885785
Naytdawg
Naytdawg
Nayt
Nayt

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Scott Wed 21 Mar - 19:45:51

scratch My head hurts!
Jay Scott
Jay Scott

Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Naytdawg Wed 21 Mar - 19:51:06

(water cooling...acctually fill the case with water... For the lols :) )
Naytdawg
Naytdawg
Nayt
Nayt

Back to top Go down

Post by Naytdawg Mon 26 Mar - 12:54:15

woweee!!! its fast as assholes!!!!!
Naytdawg
Naytdawg
Nayt
Nayt

Back to top Go down

Post by MIDGET Mon 26 Mar - 15:15:44

lol this would actually work if u removed fanns and made sure ur power supply is above water and used a grease on the power connections u would have to use distilled water though as the conductivity is low enough for it not to effect your components although it would lead to premature rusting lol mineral oil is best to use if you wish to submerge your motherboard in a liquid to cool it and can use a fish tank pump to keep the oil moving to keep it cooling
Overclocking, serious replys only please Minera11

like so :)

MIDGET

Back to top Go down

Post by ExeTick Mon 26 Mar - 15:23:57

I did this in school and its not very effective.

that oil will be warm and later it wont be so effective.

but what we did in school was: we built a fan ontop of the fish tank we had the computer in and attached a pipe that was cooled down by that fan and we actually manage to get tempeture down with 2-3 celcius.

ExeTick

Registration date : 2011-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Orford Mon 26 Mar - 17:42:22

Cannot put fish in as well so = fail.

Now a double skin tank with fish in the outer and a PC in the middle would look epic.

Orford
Orford
Orford

Back to top Go down

Post by Naytdawg Mon 26 Mar - 18:25:59

A tank in a tank... If I had money ad a wife who let me tinker with stupid things I would totally do that! How's that for a case mod!
Naytdawg
Naytdawg
Nayt
Nayt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum