*NwA* Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Laptop

+8
speedhound1-WYD-
kerrermanisNL
Eldau
Nixy23
Jay Scott
Lt.brad
capitan
Danger_6
12 posters

Go down

Laptop Empty Laptop

Post by Danger_6 Mon 3 Oct - 14:54:00

My Dad has kindly offered to buy me a new laptop. I don't know why xD!

He has picked out this one for me:

http://www.johnlewis.com/231313005/Product.aspx?SearchTerm=samsung+RC520

On the same website I have found this one:

http://www.johnlewis.com/231302272/Product.aspx

If you scroll down it mentions that it gets 2.9GHZ of processing power if you use the "turbo boost". What in God's name is that?!

If any of you know any better gaming laptops around this price could you please let me know!? I've always wanted to play PR with higher texture settings.
Danger_6
Danger_6

Registration date : 2011-07-18

Back to top Go down

Laptop Empty Re: Laptop

Post by capitan Mon 3 Oct - 14:57:34

Turbo boost is just something in the BIOS that kicks in when you need a bit more processing power. Just ups the multiplier on the CPU clock by 1 or 2 e.g. 133MHz x 18 = 2.3GHz ----- 133MHz x 22 = 2.9GHz

I think all Intel CPUs have that these days. As for gaming laptops, no idea!

capitan

Registration date : 2011-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Danger_6 Mon 3 Oct - 15:03:59

Interesting, why not have it turbo boosted the whole time then ;P?!

I suppose using this has a side effect?
Danger_6
Danger_6

Back to top Go down

Post by Lt.brad Mon 3 Oct - 15:19:56

Danger_6 wrote:Interesting, why not have it turbo boosted the whole time then ;P?!

Back in '94 we had turbo boost on our P1, It went from 100mhz to 133mhz :)
But please buy an Apple or IBM laptop! not this Samsung, Asus, Acer or what ever crap...

It will cost more but it will last much longer!

Lt.brad
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Registration date : 2011-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post by capitan Mon 3 Oct - 15:22:54

Its not necessary to run it at 2.9GHz the whole time, this just uses more energy and creates more heat. All the 'i' generation of processors also demultiply (to x12 for example) when the PC is idling/doesn't need the extra GHz etc...you don't have to tell it when, it is all automated.

Basically they are advertising something that is in all current gen intel CPUs as a 'feature'. Weird that they don't mention it on the other laptop (but it does have it).

Acer are fine, generally all the branded laptops come from about 2 or 3 actual manufacturers in the east, with a different logo slapped on.

capitan

Back to top Go down

Post by Danger_6 Mon 3 Oct - 15:28:23

Thanks for your help captain, knowing that I can use the first laptop with 2.9ghz will probably make me want to go for the cheaper option ;P.
Danger_6
Danger_6

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Scott Mon 3 Oct - 15:30:46

^^ Yup

Anyone one see the new transformers film? those lappy's that come 2 life are Super cheap.. and just as good as all the other's.
Jay Scott
Jay Scott

Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by capitan Mon 3 Oct - 15:35:00

and they'll make wisecracks whilst you're using them!

capitan

Back to top Go down

Post by Nixy23 Mon 3 Oct - 16:20:20

Lt.brad wrote:
Danger_6 wrote:Interesting, why not have it turbo boosted the whole time then ;P?!

But please buy an Apple or IBM laptop!

Lol, don't swear on these forums mate.
Nixy23
Nixy23

Registration date : 2011-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldau Mon 3 Oct - 17:09:07

I got the second one, but with 4 GB of ram and a 2.66dual core i5. and my graphic card is 2GB (meh i just realised my i5 was a quad, thought it was a dual core for 3 months) (actually it's an Acer Aspire 5742G)
It runs quite nicely, i have not had it overheat yet, it has gotten quite warm from some time of Space Marine, but not that much.
It did cost me 200pounds less.
The exterior is quite cheap, but if that doesn't bother you it's quite nice.
An issue i have found is that sometimes when i type the location of the touchpad is just under my left thumb, so sometimes i touch the touchpad when typing and starting to type some random place in my documents.
Eldau
Eldau
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Registration date : 2010-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Danger_6 Mon 3 Oct - 17:19:43

Where did you buy it from Greeny?
Danger_6
Danger_6

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldau Mon 3 Oct - 17:32:52

Bought mine locally.
http://www.computercity.dk/Products/Product.aspx?id=7096395

i have no idea about shipping outside DK, but you might be able to find something similar around in the UK. In Denmark the guidance price for the pc lies around 4.999, i just turned it round by the recent market. So the Pounds price is around 580£
Eldau
Eldau
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Registration date : 2010-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Nixy23 Mon 3 Oct - 17:40:17

Well.. laptops are tricky business really. I could write an essay on it, which I will not do. Suffice it to say that the laptops you linked are just filled with marketing tricks.

6GB ram in a laptop which only has 2 RAM slots means a stick of 2GB and one stick of 4GB. This might c**k up the dual channel, and thus might actually run slower than 2*2 GB RAM. Also, you will not need 6GB at all, unless you go on a heavy photoshopping spree with after effects.

The resolution on the Samsung is just terrible. 1024 x 600, my iPod almost has a higher resolution than that (980*640) on a 3,5" screen >_>. In fact, it even has more pixels. Seeing that 1024*600=614400 and 980*640=627200...

The GTX520M is a low-end budget card, used for watching dvd's or something. I doubt you'll be able to play games with it properly.. Oh wait, it's only 1024*600 resolution.. in which case you might run PR on low Wink

The Acer has 8GB RAM.. which you might not need it, it's always better than 6GB..

They also advertise with "HIGH DEFINITION SCREEN!" but the resolution is just FUBAR. 1366*768 is what they call "HD ready". I refuse to acknowledge the 768p resolution as a proper format though.. so you won't receive any support from me for that either Wink
Nixy23
Nixy23

Registration date : 2011-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by kerrermanisNL Mon 3 Oct - 17:56:45

Nixy23 wrote:
Lt.brad wrote:

But please buy an Apple or IBM laptop!

Lol, don't swear on these forums mate.

Hahaha, this

- On a different note, if those are the two options I'd definitly go for the more expensive one
kerrermanisNL
kerrermanisNL

Registration date : 2011-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by speedhound1-WYD- Mon 3 Oct - 21:08:27

a year or so ago my missus bought a laptop in a similar price range, we opted for a sony, great 17" wide screen, brilliant keyboard (the one Apple stole for their laptops) with an i3 4Gb ram and windows 64 pro (compatibilty with work licence programs)

it has worked flawlessly and still actually behaves like a new build.

sony gets a thumbs up from me Laptop 879428

speedhound1-WYD-

Registration date : 2010-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Robskiet Mon 3 Oct - 21:20:21

I play PR on high settings Wink with some HP, I think it's around 700.

make sure it's got a good fan, and do your research so you know they're not prone to over-heating :)
Robskiet
Robskiet

Registration date : 2010-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by ivandobsky Mon 3 Oct - 23:12:39

Get the cheaper one Danger... with the change I can sell you a Dell 9200... 2.4Ghz Quad Core, 32bit, 4G Ram, 250Gb Raid mirror, and a GeForce 8800 GTX
Runs PR on full no worries...
ivandobsky
ivandobsky

Registration date : 2009-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by MasterG Tue 4 Oct - 8:42:15

Acer Aspire 5750G Laptop
6Gigs of memory
2.3Ghz Dualcore i5 procs
2Gigs GeForce GT 540M graphics, haven't run PR better... :D

And a sidenote IBM-DELL-APPLE SUCKS! Laptop 666915
MasterG
MasterG
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Registration date : 2010-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by capitan Tue 4 Oct - 9:07:39

Laptop Delboy-300x200

Dobsky at work :lol:

capitan

Back to top Go down

Post by Orford Tue 4 Oct - 10:50:02

The screen res is standard for the 15.6 screen if you want 1080 on a 15.6" screen then your going to be paying mega bucks. Its just scaling if you want a HD format then it will easly do 1280x720. Not the best HD res so stick with its native res. On a 15 inch screen you would hardly notice the diffrence tbh from 766 to 1080. Given that most games dont have HD res textures in them any way. As for watching movies and wanting a 1080p again if your going to sit at your desk watching movies on a 15.6 inc screen and crying its not in HD your a fool and fall into the arms of the marketing men and there ideas that if its not 1080 its shite. on a 15.6 screen sat 3 ft away your more intrested in the story then looking and thinking i can only see 300 blades of grass in HD there would be 600 blades of grass.

More bullshit baffles brains from Nixy :p

Id still go for 6 gb unless some one has a like for like chart that can prove that 4 gb is better than 6gb with more than a 10% diffrence. I doubt very much.

This is the real world not some spoon fed reallity dictated to you by the magazines and marketing bollocks.

One simple question forget the hype which is the best value for money. Simple they are both a ripp off and over priced but unfortunatly so are all the others so your never going to win. Im with Dobs they will both do what you want them to do without missing a beat. so buy the cheaper on and get a desktop as well off the Dobs man daily.

Orford
Orford
Orford

Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Lt.brad Tue 4 Oct - 12:09:19

MasterG wrote:Acer Aspire 5750G Laptop
6Gigs of memory
2.3Ghz Dualcore i5 procs
2Gigs GeForce GT 540M graphics, haven't run PR better... :D

And a sidenote IBM-DELL-APPLE SUCKS! Laptop 666915

Comparing IBM and Apple with Dell is just saying you don't know anything about laptops/hardware.
Dell is just another Acer, Asus, Samsung type of manufacturer when it comes to notebooks.

It's just a simple fact the IBM/Lenovo (ThinkPad) and Apple (MacBook) build the best longlasting notebooks.
And I'm no Fanboy just based on facts...just search the internet...

The question is what you want to do with the notebook: Gaming? Work/school? Graphical enginering? etc...

I ended up buying a MacBook Air after years of HP, Toshiba and Asus.
Been using it for 2 years now and it runs like brand new! On the other notebooks I would have reinstalled my OS like 3 times...

Downside on IBM/Apple is the price...good s**t costs but lasts!

Lt.brad
*NwA* Clan Member
*NwA* Clan Member

Registration date : 2011-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Danger_6 Fri 7 Oct - 5:58:22

Danger_6
Danger_6

Back to top Go down