*NwA* Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An idea

5 posters

Go down

An idea Empty An idea

Post by Delta Fri 14 Jan - 18:14:10

While I have been pc less I have been thinking about how hard the forum is to navigate on a phone (I'm using a HTC Desire) and I was wondering how difficult it would be to create an unofficial (as in not put onto the android app market, just a .apk I can download and install) small android app that would show new topics or replies to current topics since last login (like the scroller on the left of the home page but just a non scrolling list). Doesn't even have to have the data, could just be a list of links, an easy way that people can keep up to date.
Delta
Delta
*NwA* Administrator
*NwA* Administrator

Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

An idea Empty Re: An idea

Post by Orford Fri 14 Jan - 20:08:49

Buy a better phone. Or a better browser?

How would we install the script to farm the data from the forum database to the android app. Is it easy. If so now we have are own web space and full acces may be worth a try for shits and giggles.

Orford
Orford
Orford

Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Naytdawg Fri 14 Jan - 21:16:10

And a iPhone app!

Tho I must say I have no issues with the forum and safari
Naytdawg
Naytdawg
Nayt
Nayt

Registration date : 2010-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by ivandobsky Fri 14 Jan - 22:08:37

And a BlackBerry app! (sry)
ivandobsky
ivandobsky

Registration date : 2009-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Orford Fri 14 Jan - 23:21:46

Have you tried the new forum on your phones. Its the latest forum program and may be easier on the phone browsers.

Orford
Orford
Orford

Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Delta Fri 14 Jan - 23:34:19

It is better, just it would be nice to have a very simple app which takes out steps I will be looking into it more when I get my pc back, its more of a is it possible thing rather than let's do it.

To be totally honest I don't know how easy/hard it would be, I know that android apps are developed largely using java and the iPhone OS apps use C++ or Objective-C.

I have no knowledge of any kind of programming/program development so was kinda seeing if anyone who did reckons how hard it would be.

Also while browsing I came across this http://www.appinventor.googlelabs.com/about which is a way of developing app's using a user interface rather than programming
Delta
Delta
*NwA* Administrator
*NwA* Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Snippers Fri 14 Jan - 23:59:46

In my opinion its not worth the effort of a programmer spending a lot of time working on such a thing.

Technical Point of View:

The main problem is actually just getting the program to retain you being logged into the forum into to present itself as logged into the server as to get the most recent topics for yourself, the html code for the main portal page could be parsed and links created a bit of work and a UI could show this.

However I believe something could easily be written in Java to retrieve the latest topics from a logged out point of view, UI would be the challenge, links touchable wouldnt be so hard.

I wouldn't even go near doing an iphone app, the syntax looks atrocious, and you have to pay £100 to even get the APIs/go ahead to make apps

A far better solution would be better for someone to create a php script and you bookmark that instead, the php script would just grab the plain info, as to not lag your phone?

Snippers

Registration date : 2009-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Delta Sat 15 Jan - 13:46:28

Ok cheers snips, didn't know how difficult it would be, now know its not worth it, might have a look myself just for the hell of it.
Delta
Delta
*NwA* Administrator
*NwA* Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down